View Single Post
Old 7th July 2022, 21:39     #1496
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
What's that got to do with your claim that people struggling to survive in society is just some kind of unavoidable natural phenomena that we should just ignore?
Because life isn't fair, and people ARE all competing for resources. Naturally, the greater the population, the more fierce the competition becomes. It's obvious from first principles, but there are people like yourself who argue that scarcity is a "myth". It's true that the resources might EXIST, but the resources need to be extracted, gathered, processed, distributed, etc. That all requires work and effort and organization. It's very Animal Farm, where the ideal is corrupted by selfishness.

You suggest that the hierarchies which have formed, with those at the top having more than those at the bottom, are just "social constructs", as though we could choose to restructure society any time we wanted. Technically, we can - that's called a revolution, but I didn't see any sign of strength or backbone in the last test of our rights and freedoms. I saw a bunch of science devotees doing as they were told, and in denial when their precious science was useless. So, while technically true, in practice, not going to happen.

You can postulate and talk about "social constructs", but ultimately you're up against everyone else, and everyone is acting in their own self interest. The same social constructs I pointed out are very much artificial - animals don't necessarily have marriage, land ownership and jobs - but they do defend their right to their mate, territory and their food. What you label "social constructs" are our organizing principles, and these principles have survived because they are superior to other organizing principles.

I'm obviously on the side of the status quo - what is your proposed solution to the inequality and unfairness in the world today?