Thread: Evolution
View Single Post
Old 29th August 2000, 02:30     #518
Yautja

Damn it boof i thought id broken free of this thread .

Anyway I accidentally found out the real reason why we have a 7 day week, so i may as well stoke the fire while im here

Its because there is 7 celestial bodys that are obsevable with the naked eye.
mercury
mars
jupiter
venus
saturn (saturday)
sun (sunday)
moon (monday)

The rest of the days in the english language are named after germanic gods (very similar to the roman ones the planets are named after). Tiw (wargod like mars) , Woden , Thor and freya (love god like venus).

Its more apparent in other european languages (like spanish - lunes, martes , miercoles, jueves , viernes) and thats why sunday is considered holy because people used to worship the sun a long time before chistianity (and chistmas is to do with winter solstice - shortest day of winter)

The planets and stuff were a great deal back then because they were the only way to keep track of time/seasons and for navigation. And at least muslims and jews have their own calendars, chistians just 'borrowed' the roman one (although the pope did fix it in the 16th century to account for leap centurys - making a bit of chaos with protestant and non-christian countrys by missing out 10 days, some of which only changed to it in the last century)

Anyway it must be true because i read it in a book

[This message has been edited by Yautja (edited 29 August 2000).]