Thread: Evolution
View Single Post
Old 18th July 2000, 13:58     #173
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

What about extra-terrestrial life?

Do you belive that our little sphere in the arse end of the universe is the only rock that contains life? What about the possibility of water found on Mars? At one point Mars could have sustained life... Do you believe that throughout the entire universe, the millions apon billions of stars and solar systems and galaxies out there, that we're the only place that life could have started?

As pessimistic as this sounds, I believe life and our life is a game of chance. By pure luck this rock was the right distance from the sun, by luck certain chemicals/gasses condenced under its gravity to form water and life began...

One way to think about the chance of it all is within reproduction. I'll take this from a male point of view, as it could easily be taken from a womans as well....
Your father met your mother - one out of 3 billion women on this planet. They fell in love (chemically no different from consuming vast quantities of chocolate ) and copulated. Within that exchange, a few million mighty swimmers dove into the darkness to find the one egg that happened to be waiting that month. Only one of those million possibilities made it. What if your sperm didn't, you wouldn't exist. In your place might be a girl, a retard, a scholar... Kind of spooky isn't it... I'd stop wasting time being so close minded and enjoy life in every aspect and learn as much as you can before our incredibly short (in universal terms) lifetime ends....