View Single Post
Old 26th April 2023, 02:54     #43741
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
But how do you approach that without being cancelled.
Do we need to? Did you sing it? Were you harmed as a result? It's impossible to please everyone. I'd be offended if they removed the reference because someone was hyper-sensitive and we're trying to be "inclusive". Either you're not happy, or I'm not happy. In either case, someone's not happy.

Until you can prove God does not exist, for all definitions of God, then those who choose to have faith in God (for some definition of God), are employing the concept of faith (belief without evidence) to give themselves mental fortitude.

If you're on a ship that sinks, and you're clinging to a floating bit of wreckage in the middle of nowhere, you're probably going to be wishing, hoping, you might even call it "praying" that someone finds you - somehow. You would have no evidence to suggest that they will, you can't do a damn thing to influence the situation, but rather than saying "there is no evidence someone will save me, therefore I will just drown myself", you're going to be clinging to some sort of faith to get you through.

I imagine a similar thing happens when you're in a war, with no hard evidence that you will in fact survive or be part of the winning team. You could just piss your pants and surrender, or you could kiss a lucky charm, mutter some positive affirmations (perhaps a prayer) and go hard. Kissing the charm and muttering obviously does nothing, but at least you're tricking yourself into thinking positively.

If you think of God as an old man in the sky, then you may have just chosen the wrong concept of God to attempt to disprove or not believe in. You could think of God as "a force which guides fate". You could say it is your own choices and actions which determine your fate, but it becomes quite difficult - at least at this point in time - to specify exactly how or why you have the thoughts and make the decisions you do, while experiencing the circumstances that are thrown your way. Are you part of a larger complex system, and your consciousness is some strange emergent behaviour? Is it chemical soup and a bit of luck (evolution)? God knows.

It's in the same category as "love"... it may just be a result of chemical soup, and not an actual thing - merely an illusion. Are you also suggesting that songs remove all references of "love"? It's just part of the human experience, and something we can all understand to some extent. Maybe some feel they understand it more than others, but we all know what is meant by the term. It's possible you've never understood what it means to have faith in God. Oh well. Some people have never been in love. But that doesn't prove it doesn't exist as part of the human experience. If you're going to interrupt every time someone sings a love song and say "well actually, love doesn't really exist, it's just that you were horny and your mate staying with one partner increases the chances of your genes reproducing rather than someone else's", you're going to get some funny looks on the drive home.