View Single Post
Old 7th October 2013, 15:06     #58
Nothing

Usually I would be pretty slow to pay much attention to any of this sort of doomsayer kind of stuff. But financial doom is one kind of doom that I really can't help but wonder and worry about. It particularly worries me because Dad is living in the middle east, and I can't imagine that would be a great place to be in the midst of a global financial meltdown. The thought that he might get stuck over there with everyone trying to exit and airlines shutting down, and maybe war breaking out, is an idea that I really do find scary. Perhaps that is merely overdramatising, but in a collapse that is big enough I can't help but think that the degree and severity of the fallout would be hard to predict. The worst case scenario might be much worse that we would normally expect from mere financial issues.

Can we even reasonably rely upon traditional media outlets which would probably be credible for most other things to provide us with honest analysis of potential financial meltdowns? It's not like those media organisations did a lot to warn us about the 2007 GFC. And it is at least conceivable that some powerful corporates with a lot of wealth might seek to keep them quiet about something like a global financial collapse.

I wonder if one worthwhile indicator that might be interesting to look at would be futures markets in which contracts might be sold on upcoming global financial collapse. But I don't have any knowledge or skills on how to access the relevant futures markets or how to interpret the information that would be there even if I did know how to access them.

Even then, on the other hand, perhaps that wouldn't be a sensible metric, since anyone who had a real prediction that the value of global currency was going to go belly up probably wouldn't be interested in betting to win a bunch of paper which, when the win conditions were satisfied, would end up being worthless anyway. I don't know, maybe that's an oversimplification of it.

Anyway, I'll STFU now and hopefully someone will say something to soothe my worries.

Last edited by Nothing : 7th October 2013 at 15:08.