Thread: ACC clusterfuck
View Single Post
Old 11th June 2012, 15:38     #12
doppelgänger of someone

While we are putting on the tin foil hats, isn't the point when ACC starts going to real shitter for Pullar is after 2008 when National starts squeezing ACC? Isn't it National that said too many "healthy" people are with ACC?

I think privatisation and providing competition are two different issues. I've always supported opening the market currently monopolised by ACC to private sector, i.e. private insurers should be able to offer accident insurances along with ACC.

However strictly privatising ACC won't solve problem cases like Pullar, when people need ACC money but weren't given. Strictly privatising ACC could make cases like Pullar even worse as long as ACC is a monopoly, because who else can they go to? Proper competition breeds efficiency, not simple privatisation.

After opening accident insurance to competition, whether to further privatise ACC I think is an open question. Compared with e.g. energy retail market or banking, where state-own player can give the private players a run for their money, there is no obvious reason to further privatise ACC.