View Single Post
Old 25th November 2011, 22:08     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Vote for change tomorrow

I like this post from Jim Hopkins:

Quote:
Quite why anyone would want the job (of forming govt) is a moot point. But someone will get it. And we will choose who that will be. Not as they are striving to do in Syria and Egypt but quietly, peacefully, with no tear gas or bullets being fired at us. There'll be no soldiers standing between us and the polling booth. The only impediment we'll encounter is our own indifference.

Our past has bequeathed us a franchise. Our future will be determined by it. And we have two choices tomorrow. We can choose who we vote for and also how we vote. There's a range of views on this matter. Mr Goff favours MMP, Mr Key prefers SM. Others want Preferential Voting. Some hanker for FPP. Putting aside the merits of each, there is another, even more important issue. Our control of the process.

Unless we vote for change, the politicians will decide how they are elected. They may tinker with MMP or change it radically. The choice will be theirs, not ours. A vote for change will ensure a second referendum, with MMP tested against one of the alternatives. It means we will control the evolution of our peaceful democracy. Let the politicians address the economy. But the elections belong to us!
I'm voting for change in tomorrow's voting referendum and my personal preference is for STV.

I'm Ab from nzgames and I approve this message.