View Single Post
Old 17th September 2009, 09:58     #16623
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by [WanG] Wandarah
My boss, the manager of a technical team - forwarded to us today one of those - 'OMG CNN SAYZ THERE IS A BIG VIRUS COMIN WICH WILL BURN A WHOLE IN YOUR HARD DRIVE SO BIG U CAN SEE FROM THE MOONZ IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIX ALARM ALARM OMG OMG' - emails that morons forward between each other.

She forwarded it as an 'FYI!'.

6 months to go, and I'm fucking gone.
Reminds me of when I was the onsite tech for a computer OEM company, go an e-mail from one of our resellers (who are supposed to be tech savvy enough to support the end users they sell to) advising of a new virus that none of the AV programs can detect (ummm, what?) and if you find this certain file in your Windows directory then you have been infected and you should delete that file straight away.

Fuckin' c'mon - we hear about a virus that no anti-virus company is aware of? But it can simply be deleted manually?

Anyway I did a quick google with the name of the file that I'm supposed to delete, the search results feature one word more than any other - 'hoax', so I send an E-Mail back to this guy. I felt like telling him not to be such a sap, but just suggested that he does a search before forwarding on any such 'alerts' in the future.

WTF is wrong with people - they get an E-Mail forwarded to them and for some reason don't think it is possible that there could be any inaccuracy in the information?

That reminds me of the E-Mail that says 'true story' several times and 'can you believe it' a couple of times. You read through the little story and think "no, I can't believe it". Before making a fool of yourself you check with snopes then send back a reply saying "haha, good story - but completely made up". But you were forwarded a mail that was forwarded x 3 and you can see some comments from someone that had forwarded previously, like "the funny thing is that I DO believe it". Fucking gullible idiots that my friends know!