View Single Post
Old 29th July 2009, 19:23     #425
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Your tax dollars, hard at work!
I can understand being upset about welfare abuse (though not to the extent of a lot of people, that doesn't really make sense but anyhow), but how can you not be just as upset about the vastly more expensive tax avoidance/fraud of wealthy people who seriously don't need the money. Both of these things should infuriate you, especially since the second likely has a considerably larger impact on your life (you think if we cut welfare it will make ANY difference to your day to day life? Other than maybe you're more likely to be the victim of a crime and there'l be more poverty around? I don't understand).

Note: I do understand that people have reasons like 'at least the rich work for their money' which is pretty average reasoning, but ok. It's just, why does it seem to be so common that people are much more upset about welfare abuse, that probably costs the country shit fucking all and makes absolutely zero difference in your life, but not be upset about the widening income gap which is placing serious pressure on the middle class, and on top of that the massive amount of tax avoidance by the wealthy.

So some people abuse welfare? It's no different than writing off the cops because some are bad people. If you've got a better system backed by some solid support and reasoning, i'm seriously all ears and i'm sure a lot of people would be. It's better that we give some people money to eat than they steal it. It's gonna be one of those two for a lot of people, a lot of people are already fucked, they're not going to magically start acting how society wants them too.

If you're so concerned about welfare abuse, have a cry about wanting more intervention in problem areas. Just crying about the occasional person popping up who may or may not be getting 'too much' is fucking dense. There's no reason National can't be more effective at reducing poverty than Labour (well...), i'd happily eat all my words if they did. But instead the focus seems to be 'cry about shit' then 'don't really do anything to fix it'. Though to be honest, John Key hasn't struck me as someone who abhores the benefit.