Thread: TV posts
View Single Post
Old 12th October 2008, 00:41     #975
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Any reports on the US version of "Life on Mars" with Harvey Kietel?
I wanted to stab my face with a rusty fork.

(BIG fan of the UK Life on Mars + Ashes to Ashes)

Things that put me off it:
1) Gene sucks. Really, just not any where near as cool as the UK Gene. Kietel just doesn't play it with the same presence as the UK Gene had.
2) Woman playing Annie. Annie started as an underdog fighting for her place as a woman police officer in a time when it was very much a boys club. She was seen as (by everyone but Sam) some bird who shouldn't really be there 'cos she's just getting in the blokes way (obviously this changed as the show progressed). In the US version, she's just another cop.
3) They don't appear to be trying to do a Starsky and Hutch thing with it (which seems so obvious they could almost have called it Starsky and Hutch: Life On Mars). It seems to be more about Sam being stuck out-of-time and being against everyone (which you'd expect a bit of...) - but the crux of the UK one was Sam and Gene playing off against each others strengths and weaknesses.

It's early days, and I typically give a show 3 episodes to prove it isn't going to suck completely, but from what I've seen it's not going to make it past those 3.