View Single Post
Old 24th August 2008, 16:43     #2429
Dan

/facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
People that inject themselves with flu virus every year seem to get sick a lot. I've never seen the point myself.
Influenza immunization improves immunity against influenza viruses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza). It doesn't make any difference to other viruses or pathogens e.g. "colds" that people get.
Edit: Having said that people that get sick a lot are probably more likely to get the flu, either because they're coming in contact with more people likely to be infected (schools/kids in large numbers in close contact etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I've tried it twice: Got full-on flu almost immediately after both times, decided never making THAT mistake again.
You can't get the flu from the vaccine. Chances are you a) got a cold afterwards, called it "the flu", and attributed it to the vaccine, b) were unlucky and got infected by a strain that wasn't included in that years vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Flu vaccination makes sense for oldies and very youngies I think, but for your average healthy person, it's seems pretty dumb. Then again, I am not sure what percentage of people are really that healthy.
Chances are if you're exposed to the influenza virus, whether you're "healthy" or not, if you haven't got anti-bodies to that strain (i.e. had it before, or had a vaccination), you're going to get it. Flu =! cold. If you get a serious bout of the flu you'll see the point of the vaccine. Cold = runny nose, sore throat, can keep on doing stuff. Flu = fever, aching, exhaustion, can't do shit for 10 days.

Last edited by Dan : 24th August 2008 at 16:45.