View Single Post
Old 26th February 2007, 21:25     #12
farns

Yep you are right, Argie probably wouldnt get owned in the 3N - I forgot the travel factor - I dont know when was the last time, if ever that Aus or SA beat them in Buenos Aires and the ABs struggle too, so they should win a good few home games.
I dont know how the independent Euro clubs (not centrally controlled like the Sanzar provinces)could be induced to release them for games, maybe the Argie union's cut of the Sanzar sponsorship would be enough to make Argie rugby professional enough to pay them top dollar to play at home.

As far as them playing in SH,Aus,NZ or starting a pro-league in Argie I spose it depends how big the new sponsorship deal is, which has to be split among 4 unions now instead of 3. They have to be lured out of the NH comp.
I dont know how much of a TV market they would bring with them, it might boost existing viewers interest at least short term but rugby is not big in Argie and although its a populous country, maybe the market just wouldnt grow enough there to get a good sponsorship deal and wages for the players of all 4 countries.
Also doesnt Rupert Murdoch own the 3N and S14 (well he pays Sanzar), if he doesnt think it adds up having Argie in, I dont see what pressure the IRB can bring to bear on him or any other TV network.