NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Technology & Troubleshooting (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MS Surface (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=86585)

Juju 19th June 2012 13:20

MS Surface

Video/Ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpzu3HM2CIo

Homepage: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx

Spec sheet: http://www.microsoft.com/global/surf...especsheet.pdf

What say you Abadd01s0n ?

Baal 19th June 2012 13:28

FU Juju, beaten by 1 minute.

Looks great, would buy.

Waiting eagerly for Microsoft to completely fail in the delivery department.

p01s0n 19th June 2012 13:31

looks pretty bad imo

Stalk3r 19th June 2012 13:35

holy shit i was about to fucking celebrate, because several years ago the surface was a pretty baller coffee table

now its a tablet, WTF IS THIS SHIT

*tapleflip*

Trigger 19th June 2012 14:20

YES!!!!

CCS 19th June 2012 14:25

Looks pretty, but how long before Apple sues them for stealing their look? Nice looking keyboard too.

Questions: spec sheet lists USB, but is it USB Type A so I can bung a usb drive in it, or is it USB micro so that I can fucking plug in... like... a cable? Also, user replaceable battery yes/no?

CCS 19th June 2012 14:30

Actually, having looked at the shitty MS website, it looks like it does have USBA port. But I reckon they should ditch 2.0 for 3.0 on both models. What's the fucking point of 2.0 any more? Does it even bump up the per unit price that much to have 3.0 instead?

crocos 19th June 2012 14:44

Meh. Nice hardware, but to me MS Surface will always be the reactive multi-touch table project. Windows 8 ruining everything :(

p01s0n 19th June 2012 14:46

Saladin 19th June 2012 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS
Looks pretty, but how long before Apple sues them for stealing their look?

Wonder if that could be the reasoning behind adopting the "Surface" name, tying it to a device that pre-dates the iPhone/iPad.

Jodi 19th June 2012 14:52

So, wait, is this the iPad or not? The Microsoft iPad? I'm confused.

CCS 19th June 2012 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saladin
Wonder if that could be the reasoning behind adopting the "Surface" name, tying it to a device that pre-dates the iPhone/iPad.

I don't reckon the name will come into it at all. If the look of their tablet wasn't conceived of before Apple designed their iPad, then I don't see why Apple couldn't sue MS for making a tablet that is thin, rectangular and has a home button in the centre.

Whether Apple would get anywhere with that suit would be another thing altogether.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodi
So, wait, is this the iPad or not? The Microsoft iPad? I'm confused.

What the fuck?

Phantom 19th June 2012 15:20

I'm quite excited about a tablet formfactor PC tbh. Will reserve judgement until it's available, but it's definitely on my radar.

crocos 19th June 2012 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom
I'm quite excited about a tablet formfactor PC tbh.

You didn't like the HP Slate then?

Ajax 19th June 2012 15:33

Surface seems promising, would consider.

Furry Crew 19th June 2012 17:26

2 Choices of keyboard looks cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vasc8UNl_0

p01s0n 19th June 2012 17:50

magnesium construction eh...hrmm...now where have I heard about that before...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4ucQCjNvU

CCS 19th June 2012 18:35

p01s0n takes on magnesium, the world lols.

Srsly, you lolling that magnesium will burn instead melt like an ipad would? Say, what's the ignition point for magnesium again?

p01s0n 19th June 2012 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS
p01s0n takes on magnesium, the world lols.

Srsly, you lolling that magnesium will burn instead melt like an ipad would? Say, what's the ignition point for magnesium again?

i dunno, how much thermal output does a combusting battery make?

CCS 19th June 2012 18:56

Cos batteries are always blowing up, eh?

Got any magnesium parts in your car, brah?

p01s0n 19th June 2012 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS
Cos batteries are always blowing up, eh?

when it comes to shitty consumer electronics, yes?

CCS 19th June 2012 19:07

:rolleyes:

Quick p01s0n, throw out all your stuff with magnesium in it!

p01s0n 19th June 2012 19:24

k
*throws ur posting in the bin*

CCS 19th June 2012 20:04

po1son = lollerball Don't ever buy any magnesium wheels! They'll catch on fire while you driftin!

Here are some fun quotes to piss p01son off:
Quote:

Microsoft kept touting build quality, and for good reason: the Windows RT Surface tablet is solid and stunning. Attention to detail is positively amazing, and it's so well designed from every angle that it's just a joy to look at. The keyboard is so thin it seems made from fabric. The lines are gorgeous, and it's a well-balanced device that you'll be able to hold for extended sessions. It is, certainly, easier to hang on to than any of the three generations of iPads to date. The screen is bright and vivid, and the viewing angle is as wide as you could reasonably expect to hold it. Even the kickstand that lets it sit upright, which seemed kind of, well, dumb onstage was a fantastic touch once we saw it in person and attached to the keyboard.
So. Yes. It's awesome. It's going to be fantastic. Google had better step things up at IO, because this Windows RT tablet is far more impressive than any shipping Android tablet I've ever seen. It's a clear rival to the iPad. Or at least, so it seems. We'll see. Can't wait for Fall.
All of this seems like really cool stuff, and from the looks of things, Microsoft has out-Apple'd Apple yet again.

Stalk3r 19th June 2012 20:10

i'll buy one

it looks revolutionary and game changing

zeekiorage 19th June 2012 20:27

I was expecting another fail from Microsoft but this is actually not bad.

A Corpse 19th June 2012 20:54

Quote:

Microsoft has out-Apple'd Apple yet again.
When have they done it before? Refresh my memory, I'm not familiar with many Apple products.

p01s0n 19th June 2012 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeekiorage
I was expecting another fail from Microsoft but this is actually not bad.

engaging full not givin a fuc mode

* twice as heavy as an ipad
* 1366 x 768 resolution in this, the year of our lord 2012
* fragmented off the bat with two different architectures on offer
* if your tablet has air vents as a design feature, you failed
* "seamless design", huge seams from kickstand
* ultrabook parts with ultrabook features and an ultrabook price to match
* not available until october

Stalk3r 19th June 2012 21:33

surely not even giving a fuck would be not opening the thread and not typing out your epic sperglord rant about why you hate everything that isnt apple?

REVOLUTIONARY

p01s0n 19th June 2012 21:43

no i don't giv a fuc what bitch niggas (like u) is gonna say about what i have to say on this matter

Stalk3r 19th June 2012 21:45

oh well thats fair, but i think everyone understands your stance of not giving a fuck about peoples thoughts/feelings on what you say/do, youve made it pretty clear and obvious on several occaisions

needless to say, not a single fuck was given

p01s0n 19th June 2012 22:05

kudos to microsoft for apparently sacking up and attempting to take back control of hardware from janky fuckstick shops like asus and acer etc, but seriously this is a bad product on a number of levels and they kind of botched it a bit by announcing it with nothing on sale within the next fortnight. By the time this comes out, it will look extremely dated. and bad.

and that's without mentioning the fact that it failed on stage and they had to swap to a backup unit.

I don't know how many of you have used a ipad with a keyboard and reaching 'forward' to use the touch controls, but it is awkward as fuck and the fact that microsoft actually expect people to use it in this manner (yes, i know it has a mouse) shows exactly how much thought they've put into it. The phrase "months of prototyping!!" also is a good indicator.

wazza 19th June 2012 22:06

i don't see what's so special about it.
i'm not that impressed.

cEvin 19th June 2012 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazza
i'm not that impressed.

Frouse 19th June 2012 22:41

If Apple had embedded a keyboard and trackpad in to the iPad's "Smart" Cover you'd be eating your own cum with glee. Got to give credit where it is due, Microsoft just punched Apple in the mouth.

p01s0n 19th June 2012 22:45

if it was a good idea, apple would have done it first.
think about that for a second.

CCS 19th June 2012 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by p01s0n
* twice as heavy as an ipad
* 1366 x 768 resolution in this, the year of our lord 2012

I thought Appleistas didn't care about specs?

p01s0n 19th June 2012 22:48

let me rephrase then.
its display is going to look like shit compared to its direct competitor.
it's going to be weightier and more annoying to hold than its direct competitor.

wazza 19th June 2012 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by p01s0n
if it was a good idea, apple would have done it first.
think about that for a second.

fucken LOL

p01s0n 19th June 2012 22:51

also calling it now that the arm one flops and the x86 one never makes it to market as a result.