NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   political correctness gone mad (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=87852)

Ab 18th September 2019 11:48

/tinfoilhat

I wonder if any of the twitter mob calling for Stallman’s life’s work to be erased are employed by or have interests in tech companies currently forced to open-source what would otherwise be bajillion-dollar projects because they incorporate GPL code?

StN 18th September 2019 12:44

He had me at "Wears hard disk platter as a halo".

fixed_truth 18th September 2019 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab (Post 2008484)
(Real world) True, but (ideal world) who the fuck cares? Stallman doesn't have a history of defending paedophlia, he has a history of not instinctively rejecting it without qualification. I've sat in expensive university courses* and bounced around exactly the same ideas that Stallman is being unpersoned for. What is paedophilia? Is it psychological attraction to child bodies, or a legal definition based on statute? Ages of consent are arbitrary and differ from place to place for no reason! issues like agency and harm and consent and personhood are all relevant (which is worse: healthy caring relationship with an emotionally stable and mature consenting 15-year-old, or abusive relationship with a mentally deficient immature 18-year old?)! What if a sex partner is a mature adult with a growth disorder and presents as pre-pubescent - is that paedophilia? Grownups can have these discussions without having their professional lives ended.

I definitely think that there is a place and need for these conversations. I also think that declaring that there's nothing wrong with consensual sex between an adult & child goes a bit past having a discussion. I'm not sure the context in which this was stated but I'm assuming having aspergers means he's tone deaf to the nuance of how to have these discussions safely. Even if he is just breaking down words, the truth of that statement (ie peoples experiences) is outside his field and I think it does come across as defending paedophlia. Ideally you'd have these investigations and conversations before making those kinds of statements.

Quote:

14 September 2019 (Sex between an adult and a child is wrong)

Many years ago I posted that I could not see anything wrong about sex between an adult and a child, if the child accepted it.

Through personal conversations in recent years, I've learned to understand how sex with a child can harm per psychologically. This changed my mind about the matter: I think adults should not do that. I am grateful for the conversations that enabled me to understand why.
https://stallman.org/archives/2019-j...child_is_wrong)

Ab 18th September 2019 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixed_truth (Post 2008488)
I'm assuming having aspergers means he's tone deaf to the nuance of how to have these discussions safely

no it just means that everyone in the world needs to prepare for interaction with Stallman by accepting his definitions of what words mean, he has prepared a glossary for the world and everything and that's not spergy at all and what do you mean every second line in there is a social justice bonfire waiting to happen

Ab 18th September 2019 17:06

Commentary:

Quote:

When asked to give his thoughts on the matter, Stallman responded like any 110-octane autism-spectrum genius would: by questioning the terminology involved. He suggested that the correct word for Minsky’s alleged statutory rape was not “sexual assault”, noting that

a) Minsky had no way to know the girl was 17, not 18 ;
b) she had been coerced by Epstein out of Minsky’s presence and might well have appeared to be entirely willing.

In true Stallman fashion, this was

a) absolutely correct from a logical perspective;
b) mind-blowingly stupid from a perspective of The Current Year.

It’s no different from the thousands of logical but emotionally uncomfortable things he has said and written over the past forty years. Stallman has no way to understand how people feel about something; he doesn’t feel that way. The community of actual computer scientists and clued-in tech people has long accepted this because — and I cannot emphasize this enough — Richard Stallman is responsible for computing as we know it.

In a world where Richard Stallman did not exist, neither would Apple, or the Android phone, or “cloud computing”, or Amazon.com. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. The world without Stallman would be a world where you still used a Windows 95 computer, where you paid real money for every single piece of software on it. Internet Explorer would be the browser. Computing would be limited to the upper-middle-class, the way it was in 1985. No matter how you are reading this website, both you and I are using systems which incorporate GNU software. Even if you’re using Windows, which nowadays runs on a very GNU-like operating system beneath the covers.

The idea of truly free software given to the world for humanitarian purposes would not exist without Stallman. He was the only person who ever had the thought. Which means it is more radical than calculus, heavier-than-air flight, the theory of relativity, or the atomic bomb. It took someone with Stallman’s particular blend of Promethean IQ and mentally handicapped social skills to push it all the way to reality. You live in Richard Stallman’s world, whether you like it or not. He has had more influence on how we communicate in 2019 than any other single human being currently living. Any sane society would consider him a national treasure of greater importance than Fort Knox, to be cherished and protected accordingly.

Naturally, our society has decided to crucify him.

DrTiTus 18th September 2019 19:57

Prohibition in speech, just as in beer.

fixed_truth 18th September 2019 20:18

Quote:

Perhaps the final indignity here is that Stallman should be protected by the very guidelines of Diversity And Inclusion which are being used to crucify him. Were Stallman in a wheelchair, MIT would make sure he had a near-effortless path to work. Were he blind, he would have the appropriate hardware and software to enable his genius to proceed uninterrupted. But because he is mentally challenged in social interactions — an area where the Illuminati respect, and permit, nothing besides complete and total compliance — he is going to be drummed out of the world that he single-handedly created.
That's a good point though I wonder what MIT could realistically do apart from assigning him a PR person to screen his communications.

Ab 19th September 2019 16:47

Let's see if the woke left lynches Justin "groping a woman while in blackface" Trudeau.

fixed_truth 20th September 2019 07:19

First reaction - 20 years ago meh. But then with it being at least 3 times & while a 29+ year old teacher is a bad look. Serial blackface.

Lightspeed 20th September 2019 10:28

Apparently this means has a complete lack of judgement. How has he fared in office so far in the absence of this judgement? Do we look to his work in government? What decisions has he made, who has been impacted by those decisions, what do they have to say?

What I've heard reported is that it was a boring election that has now been energised.

Not because anything has been discovered about the running of government. But because long available images for unknown reasons suddenly have entered prominence.

Ab 20th September 2019 11:16

Everything he has ever done must be erased. #canceltrudeau

creamcheese 21st September 2019 03:54

I don't get it, I thought everyone was totes in to dark mode these days

crocos 21st September 2019 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by creamcheese (Post 2008506)
I don't get it, I thought everyone was totes in to dark mode these days

Only when it's got native support.

fixed_truth 24th September 2019 11:01

Quote:

24% said they were truly offended and it changed their view of Mr. Trudeau for the worse. Worth noting is that of that 24%, two-thirds are Conservative voters.
https://abacusdata.ca/a-sensational-...-race-remains/

Heh typical

Ab 24th September 2019 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixed_truth (Post 2008527)

of what?

fixed_truth 24th September 2019 15:15

That most of those who were the most offended wouldn't usually be offended but because it's the other team they have a sudden onset of political correctness.

And on the flip side the same goes for those Liberal supporters that aren't too bothered this time.

Ab 25th September 2019 13:16

I guess it depends on the wording of the question. I think what he did was in cataclysmically bad taste, but I wouldn't say I'm offended by it. I'm offended by his hypocritical sanctimony on progressive racial issues, and my view of Trudeau is now wortse than it was.

Lightspeed 25th September 2019 14:04

I don't really follow Canadian politics. I know they have the same problems as anywhere else, the abuse of indigenous populations is especially horrifying.

So I don't really know if the progressive values Trudeau espouses are about him and his agenda, or if he's playing that role he's been put in of moving Canada forward, therefore taking the steps those who put him in that role deem necessary for that movement.

crocos 27th September 2019 10:01

End of the day there's no real difference in outcome

fixed_truth 27th September 2019 21:43

Fake afros to promote Canterbury Rugby game 'like golliwogs and blackface'

Quote:

Nakhid said using afros for disco-themed marketing perpetuated racial stereotypes for people of colour as limited to dancing and drug-taking.

"People say it's just a costume but it's neglecting and dismissing the history of people that had to endure the challenging of their blackness and their hair."
Really?

DrTiTus 28th September 2019 14:28

OK symbol now hate speech according to ADL

Ab 30th September 2019 16:07

Canadian feminist to speak at Massey on the conflict between biological women's rights and trans women's rights, what could possibly go wrong

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/edu...-to-host-event

crocos 3rd October 2019 17:20

Wouldn't describe that one as a feminist so much as deeply anti-transsexual.

Ab 4th November 2019 11:36

Quote:

A heated debate broke out at a select committee considering changes to abortion law, after some submitters asked for the legislation to say “pregnant person” instead of “pregnant woman”.
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...rtion-law.html

By referring to women and mothers the words do violence

Ab 4th November 2019 22:30

In all seriousness though - if the transgender activist movement were actually a patriarchy covert op with its goal the erasure of womanness from public life, how would it differ from the transgender activist movement we have now?

fixed_truth 5th November 2019 11:15

How would using the term 'pregnant person' be harmful? It would be beneficial for trans men who can become pregnant & also for trans woman who can't.

Ab 5th November 2019 14:30

If you've got ovaries and eggs and a foetus growing inside you, my feeling on that is that you're a woman. If you think you're a man while doing those things, my feeling on that is that you're a mentally unwell woman. And the probability that you are a biological woman who thinks you're a man is so small that I'm totally happy with the law saying the words "woman" and "mother" regardless of how it makes you feel.

Lightspeed 5th November 2019 14:59

My feeling is that gender roles have been enforced to extreme lengths, ultimately to our detriment (but very useful when you're running military of millions.)

Now we're growing up and moving on.

"BuT oNly WoMeN hAvE bAbIeS?1?!"

Cool story, time to grow up on move on, or be left behind.

Lightspeed 5th November 2019 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed (Post 2008790)
(but very useful when you're running military of millions.)

Or selling stuff "Are you a MAN?! Buy our MAN thing you MAN!"

Ab 5th November 2019 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed (Post 2008790)
My feeling is that gender roles have been enforced to extreme lengths, ultimately to our detriment

Not disagreeing with you.

When it comes to transgender rights issues, I basically don't really care because it doesn't affect me. I'm biologically and psychologically male. It's women whose collective position is being erased by transgender activism. It's women who are hearing that they have to have dicks waved in front of them in "women's" changing rooms, it's women who are having to compete in "women's" sports against male competitors... hell, lesbians are getting accused of transphobia for not finding dicks attractive. Wtaf.

Jeez I can't imagine what it feels like to be a woman who has fought all her life for access to abortion as a woman's right and then be told "yeah, nah, it's not a women's issue any more. Don't you worry your pretty little head about it."

Nich 5th November 2019 15:21

That man buys manly things. What a hetronormative biggot. Help, I'm being oppressed!

Also on this subject. Robyn's ex is now a woman ... or at least now does not have a cock. It started with laser hair removal, then they broke up cause it was getting weird. Then it was hormone injections, and a couple of weeks ago Robyn got a call out of the blue from a Melbourne hospital asking if she knew where "they" were (Robyn was listed as kin despite almost no contact or communication). Next thing we heard was that "they" had flown to Malaysia to have their cock and balls removed.

fixed_truth 5th November 2019 16:49

I agree that trans women are not biologically female, but I also see the value in gender recognition for people getting treated pretty shitty in society. I lean towards woman only spaces being categorised according to just sex, but in this context of swapping out a definition word I'm wondering if/how this harms cis woman.

Lightspeed 5th November 2019 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab (Post 2008792)
I'm biologically and psychologically male.

I think importantly you're socially and culturally male. It's not just you that recognises your gender, it's those around you.

Quote:

It's women whose collective position is being erased by transgender activism. It's women who are hearing that they have to have dicks waved in front of them in "women's" changing rooms, it's women who are having to compete in "women's" sports against male competitors... hell, lesbians are getting accused of transphobia for not finding dicks attractive. Wtaf.

Jeez I can't imagine what it feels like to be a woman who has fought all her life for access to abortion as a woman's right and then be told "yeah, nah, it's not a women's issue any more. Don't you worry your pretty little head about it."
Sounds a lot different to what I've seen actually happen. If you're dealing with gender issues you're dealing with trauma. If you're dealing with trauma, impossible situations are your day-to-day.

Yes, there are a lot of unresolved gender issues many are invested in grappling with. Yes we're moving on from gender as the rigid construct it has been. We can do both. And we do. Just not on social media. That's absurd. Quiet rooms with loud clocks is where the real action is.

Ab 5th November 2019 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed (Post 2008795)
I think importantly you're socially and culturally male. It's not just you that recognises your gender, it's those around you.

Yeah but that's the great thing about being male, I don't give a fuck what those around me think.

Ab 6th November 2019 10:28

Gay activists set up charity group to support those who are “same-sex attracted”, are immediately attacked as transphobes and, yes, compared to Nazis

https://quillette.com/2019/11/04/mee...ke-homophobes/

fixed_truth 6th November 2019 11:22

When I read 'activists' I read a very small but noisy sub group who's views really only represent their own. See also SJW's in American colleges.

Ab 6th November 2019 11:58

You don’t like activists? You think the word “activists” in the article is some sort of signal that you might be about to commit thoughtcrime?

Ab 21st November 2019 20:03

British left continues to eat itself

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/20/jerem...name-11186885/

Ab 26th November 2019 23:40

Quote:

Rugby referees are quitting the women’s amateur game because they fear rules allowing transgender women to play will lead to serious injuries.

Referees say they have been warned not to challenge bearded or heavily muscled players appearing for women’s teams.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...d-8d46f6325aea

Ab 12th December 2019 18:39

Multiple levels of outraged cancelculture in this one:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...12-p53jbw.html