NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   nCoV 2019 (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=87932)

BoyWonder 2nd March 2020 21:05

Apparently rice, pasta and toilet paper is essential to get you through. Also wine from what I could tell from my local supermarket. That one made the most sense to me (psst... you can order it online people).

StN 2nd March 2020 22:05

There was discussion down at the pub about trolling news cameras at supermarkets with trolleys full of Mexican ale.

blynk 2nd March 2020 23:01

Annoying as fuck. If people didnt panic buy there would be enough for everyone.

Nich 2nd March 2020 23:49

We're at the "thoughts and prayers" phase of the US pandemic action plan.
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldpoliti...e_house_staff/

...we are also at the "Brownie, You're doing a heckuva job" phase
https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2020/03/...im-proud-work/

Mike Pence. Will he take guidance from virologists, or God?

Australia has its first death (Perth), and first community spread (Sydney). No more handshaking. It's on like donkey kong!

Ajax 3rd March 2020 00:21

Pence is an absolute buffoon.

blynk 3rd March 2020 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax (Post 2010055)
Pence is an absolute buffoon.

I think Pence is the reason why Trump hasn't been assassinated.
I would prefer Trump over Pence.

Nich 3rd March 2020 11:33

NY doctor hijacks discussion panel to say CDC have fucked up. cant get test kits, and CDC are very slow to test possible infected people
https://youtu.be/0Wg_OTTzUv8

Lightspeed 3rd March 2020 12:48

The virus is definitely not as bad as the original hype suggested. No dead "piling up", no volume of people collapsing in the street.

The real consequences (aside from those directly impacted) are trade and travel.

We're not dealing with the Spanish flu here.

Cyberbob 3rd March 2020 13:03

It's not "Bring Out Yer Dead", but it's got a few things going for it and against it:
  • Seasonal flu kills loads of people as it is, but only kills about 0.1% of those infected.
  • Infection/Mortality rates are being reported as being far higher in Covid-19, about 2%, but reporting right now is notoriously unreliable. You're only really hearing about those extreme cases.
  • If typical infection rates grow to seasonal flu levels, then you're in for a world of hurt with that mortality. Spanish Flu was 2%.
On the other side of the coin:
  • People are super aware of it, and are likely to be more vigilant than usual.
  • More than 80% of cases are elderly over 60 years old, and more than 75% had underlying diseases present such as cardiovascular and cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and, in some cases, tumor.

In conclusion: it's too early to make conclusive statements.

Ajax 3rd March 2020 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed (Post 2010059)
No dead "piling up", no volume of people collapsing in the street.

Both of those things happened in Wuhan.

Ajax 3rd March 2020 13:24

As for the Spanish flu comparison, that remains to be seen. It's still very early days.

Lightspeed 3rd March 2020 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax (Post 2010062)
Both of those things happened in Wuhan.

Only according to stories you're willing to believe.

Maybe it's true, perhaps air quality meant everyone in Wuhan has compromised respiratory systems. But we're not seeing that elsewhere. Of the 600 infected on the quarantined cruise ship, only two died. Older people with pre-existing conditions.

Ajax 3rd March 2020 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed (Post 2010064)

Footage of probable coronavirus victims collapsing on the streets of Wuhan

Bodies piling up in a Wuhan hospital

Quote:

Of the 600 infected on the quarantined cruise ship, only two died. Older people with pre-existing conditions.

Actually there are currently 7 deaths and 36 in serious/critical condition.

Know me. 3rd March 2020 19:00

Quote:

Maybe it's true, perhaps air quality meant everyone in Wuhan has compromised respiratory systems. But we're not seeing that elsewhere. Of the 600 infected on the quarantined cruise ship, only two died. Older people with pre-existing conditions.

According to this website https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ its 706 total cases 7 deaths and 36 serious or critical.

Ajax 3rd March 2020 19:56

Quote:

But we're not seeing that elsewhere.

Meanwhile, in Iran.

Nich 3rd March 2020 20:16

It’s a difficult Fourth Turning moment.

Podcasts like TWIV (this week in virology) consistently dismiss social media videos as unverifiable, which is the safest assumption to make. Could be old videos with new captions, etc etc.
http://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

On the other hand, there is widespread distrust in institutions that should be giving us the verified truth.

The trusted institutions are telling us the rustling in the bushes is just the wind, and social media says it is a tiger. I will personally act as though its a tiger until the truth comes out.

Lightspeed 3rd March 2020 20:17

People fall down. Morgues hold bodies. Maybe. It might be bodies in those bags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Know me. (Post 2010070)
According to this website https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ its 706 total cases 7 deaths and 36 serious or critical.

My information was a week old. So we're looking at 0.1%-6% fatality rate.

I'll have to concede Cyberbob's point that it's too soon to tell.

Ajax 3rd March 2020 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed (Post 2010074)
People fall down. Morgues hold bodies. Maybe. It might be bodies in those bags.

Yes bagged bodies overflowing into public areas is perfectly normal, nothing to see here. You're an idiot.

Lightspeed 3rd March 2020 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nich (Post 2010073)
I will personally act as though its a tiger until the truth comes out.

My approach is: well, I can't do anything more than I already do, I'll just have to ride the tide.

Lightspeed 3rd March 2020 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax (Post 2010075)
Yes bagged bodies overflowing into public areas is perfectly normal, nothing to see here. You're an idiot.

I don't know Iran. Or Wuhan. I have no fucking clue of the context of those images. I do know there are all kinds of misinformation out there, and it's beyond me to parse it.

I always seek the truth. The truth is I don't know. If I lower my standards of knowledge then what I know becomes about me, not the phenomena I'm trying to understand.

Ab 3rd March 2020 20:31

Indonesia population: 240 million
Indonesia corona deaths reported: zero
Indonesia corona infections reported: zero
Yup sounds legit

Ajax 3rd March 2020 20:34

Indonesia had a couple of cases confirmed a few days ago. It is surely spreading undetected there.

Ajax 3rd March 2020 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nich (Post 2010073)
Podcasts like TWIV (this week in virology) consistently dismiss social media videos as unverifiable, which is the safest assumption to make.

For many people living under repressive governments, social media channels are their only outlets for unfiltered expression. For this reason, they can be critical sources of information in times of crisis. A healthy degree of skepticism should always be applied, but social media posts should not necessarily be dismissed because they are difficult (or impossible) to verify. That same level of difficulty may be keeping the authors safe from their own governments.

ceer 3rd March 2020 22:36

John Oliver's episode about it was great, took me 10 minutes or so to find a link that worked and wasn't shutdown.

The favorite line was "he is the Usain Bolt of Racism" _b

StN 4th March 2020 21:09

Coronavirus: Family of NZ woman with virus 'battered' on social media

Is the the same country full of the same Kiwi's that embraced Eve Van Grafhorst?

Oh wait - that was before the Faceplace...

::facepalm::

Ajax 4th March 2020 21:16

Sounds like things might be kicking off in India.

ePi 5th March 2020 02:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax (Post 2010079)
Indonesia had a couple of cases confirmed a few days ago. It is surely spreading undetected there.

More than likely. One of the two was sick for two weeks before she was tested. Also a few travellers (like the one in NZ) transited through Indonesia. They just haven't done that many tests in comparison to everywhere else. Something like 333 tests compared to 14,000 in the UK.

Lightspeed 5th March 2020 10:27

Depending on how this all plays out, this could have a significant outcome on election results towards the end of the year.

StN 5th March 2020 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed (Post 2010103)
Depending on how this all plays out, this could have a significant outcome on election results towards the end of the year.

Well, Winston's demographic might take a significant hit...

pxpx 5th March 2020 11:52

A colleague of mine has had to self isolate on request from MOH after being in the same building as the 2nd case. Now our risk and compliance team is having absolute kittens about the chance of getting to execute a real BCP scenario :rolleyes:

The domino effect of paranoia is pretty funny though, my colleague was nowhere near the lady (it was a large school gymnasium and they were on opposite sides from each other), but that was enough for MOH to recommend isolation. Of course they have to notify work, who are now asking them to provide a list of names they came into contact with over the last week and a half (of which I'll be on that list).

Presumably if the R&C team are paranoid enough, they'll request that I self-isolate for a time. I wonder then what happens. Does my wife need to tell her workplace that I've been asked to self-isolate? Will they then ask her to self-isolate? If that happens, what about her colleagues, and so on? I can see it happening. I mean, when does it stop?

Cyberbob 5th March 2020 12:03

"Hey I'm working from home today because I came into contact with a person who came into contact with a person who came into contact with a person who came into contact with a person who came into contact with a person with a suspected case of the sniffles."

StN 5th March 2020 12:47

Something something Faberge organics shampoo...

fixed_truth 5th March 2020 15:51

Imagine what's gonna happen when people start getting the seasonal flu & they all think it's coronavirus.

crocos 5th March 2020 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by pxpx (Post 2010106)
I mean, when does it stop?

Presumably when Kevin Bacon gets advised to self-isolate and then everyone becomes a shut-in.

Lightspeed 5th March 2020 19:50

One message I haven't seen, I guess because it conflicts with the "we've got it contained" narrative, is how to give your body a fighting chance if you do catch it.

Which is basically lay off the booze and smokes, eat plenty of fruit, get plenty of rest.

Ab 5th March 2020 22:26

Don’t be old, don’t have a preexisting heart or lung condition.

Nich 5th March 2020 22:43

Agree that people should be ready to nurse at home. Any government announcement might spur on more panic buying and hoarding.

Home prep, pantry prep:
https://www.peakprosperity.com/forum...-january-2020/

Elderberry syrup has been shown to relieve symptoms of flu
https://www.peakprosperity.com/forum...-january-2020/

As does vitamin D
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...-cold-and-flu/
Get the Vit D drops, not the tablets.

I have 1 kg of electrolytes that I drink when using a sauna.. tastes like spit, but does the trick.
https://www.bulknutrients.com.au/pro...trolyte-blend/

It would be best to word the public up now on when to stay home and get over it, and when to seek help before they overload the GPs at the first sign of the sniffles.

blynk 6th March 2020 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by blynk (Post 2010028)
I am heading to Texas early May for a few days for work. It's going to be interesting watching what people will be like.

Well it turns out I will not be heading there anymore. Company can't guarantee the H&S, so it's cancelled.

:(

StN 6th March 2020 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab (Post 2010127)
Don’t be old, don’t have a preexisting heart or lung condition.

Faaaaaaarrrkk!!!

Anywho, dropped by the GP yesterday to get my heart meds, and mentioned that the TDDA random drug testing here at work has pinged the odd person for opiates because: old cough medicine. Got a script for the Gees Linctus, so all good!

Not quite Laudanum of old, but it does sort out the lungs!

Ajax 6th March 2020 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by StN (Post 2010139)

Not quite Laudanum of old, but it does sort out the lungs!

Gees Linctus was made prescription-only just last year. Before that anyone could buy a tincture of opium over the counter. Amazing. It really works well too.