NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What grinds your gears? (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=68937)

Lightspeed 18th February 2010 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed
The Government suggesting that Radio NZ Concert should get commercial sponsorship really fuckin' grinds my gears.

Fuck fuck fuck!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...io-New-Zealand

crocos 18th February 2010 18:38

Southern Cross from midday Saturday _b

Nich 18th February 2010 18:55

Quote:

John Key is not my homie.

BoyWonder 18th February 2010 21:14

OMG what's the world coming to?

Cyberbob 18th February 2010 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Um tommorow morn through to sunday. Deff keen to get on the piss with you chaps, though i'm a little scared, what if you don't accept me *tear*.

Doing the Homegrown thing.

I'm taking photos at Homegrown, look out for me and I'll make you faymus :D

Markh 18th February 2010 22:48

Quote:

Wait - I'm paying for that radio station through my taxes? Even though I don't listen to it and to be honest - don't give a fuck about it?

That Grinds my Gears!

Lightspeed 18th February 2010 22:59

You think you live independent and separate from people who do listen to it and do give a fuck? You think that everyone enjoys the benefits you receive at the tax payers expense?

I can appreciate you not caring about the service, but I can't understand you thinking that it's only acceptable that tax payer money be spent on things you personally benefit from. Well, I could understand that, but you've never struck me as that sort of person.

Or are you just taking the piss?

BoyWonder 18th February 2010 23:17

Actually I'd be happier if that money went to people who care for the disabled, or provided more computers in primary schools in Southland, or went towards an initiative to train up people on the dole.

The last time I recall someone saying "fuck fuck fuck" in response to something the second plane had just hit the World Trade Center and it was pretty clear the world would not be the same again. RNZ will have ads... are you going to be OK?

Lightspeed 19th February 2010 00:05

So you're against any money being spent on non-critical things, such as sports, recreation and culture? If that's your point of view, I understand. Otherwise do you have a specific justification why RNZ shouldn't be funded when it's a core part of NZ culture for a lot of people?

And there are plenty of trained up people on the dole who would love a job.

Lightspeed 19th February 2010 00:07

Btw, many people who are disabled also enjoy RNZ. It's more than just a radio station for a lot of people, it's a way they can connect to the country, without being harassed by advertising.

Markh 19th February 2010 01:30

Quote:

Or are you just taking the piss?

You gotta know that is always a possibility. TBH my tax money gets spent in way worse ways than on a radio station.

[WanG] Wandarah 19th February 2010 01:32

Radio New Zealand is the only public broadcaster in NZ left. Surely even apathetic NZ gives a shit about this?

Delphinus 19th February 2010 08:32

Leave it ad free. I get enough advertisements *everywhere* else in life.

Saladin 19th February 2010 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoyWonder
The last time I recall someone saying "fuck fuck fuck" in response to something the second plane had just hit the World Trade Center and it was pretty clear the world would not be the same again. RNZ will have ads... are you going to be OK?

Geez, you mustn't get out much. I hear people say "fuck fuck fuck" all the time.. Furrycrew at LANs, my wife when the Warriors lose etc etc.

BoyWonder 19th February 2010 12:11

Sorry I don't tend to hang out watching league with your wife (not that I'm aware of), and someone saying fuck fuck fuck at a LAN is pretty much background noise really. Is that your definition of getting out? Geez.

Lightspeed 19th February 2010 12:24

They seemed more like examples of everyday scenarios rather than a definition of getting out.

BoyWonder 19th February 2010 12:32

Thank you - my three scenarios were just examples too but you took them as gospel - or at least a representation of a group conveniently lacking in recreational / cultural situations to fit your response.

I guess it does come down to personal taste really and ultimately a popularity contest for or against RNZ - providing that enough political pressure reverses that situation. Personally I think it is just a sign of the times really and if there was plenty of money going around then fine, full funding all the way - but there isn't.

Lightspeed 19th February 2010 12:58

Wtf are you talking about? Speak plainly.

gentle 19th February 2010 12:58

Quote:

Otherwise do you have a specific justification why RNZ shouldn't be funded when it's a core part of NZ culture for a lot of people?

It's not really a _lot_ of people though is it; concert has a cumulative audience of 132,000 people a week (4% of all people 15+) to Sept 09. National has a listenership of about 495,000 (15% AP15+) and combined the two channels have an audience of 553,000. I think it's justified for the National radio channel, but concert needs to start pulling its weight because it's genre based - it's not like we have a drum and bass equivalent.

Lightspeed 19th February 2010 13:04

I think 4% isn't a bad slice of the population, in this context. I guess it might depend on what proportion of RNZ's budget gets spent on Concert. You're right, Concert is by and large genre based (although it's a lot more varied than many probably realise) however it is a very specific genre with strong roots in our culture and history.

Nich 19th February 2010 17:51

word from a RNZ insider is that there are no plans to commercialize now or within the current term.

Lightspeed 19th February 2010 18:23

That's good news. Although I am still concerned some of the RNZ staff may lose their jobs, or night time programming might be stopped.

Warrick 20th February 2010 00:54

Lost my keys tonight, absolutely frustrated. I never lose anything.

Grr.

Warrick 20th February 2010 01:24

whoa. just had my keys returned to me, my mates 9 yr old daughter found them in the couch?

all is well.

Cyberbob 20th February 2010 10:07

CRISIS AVERTED

p01s0n 20th February 2010 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrick
Lost my keys tonight, absolutely frustrated. I never lose anything.

Grr.

virgin spotted

A Corpse 20th February 2010 11:13

Crocos joke!

Juju 20th February 2010 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrick
whoa. just had my keys returned to me, my mates 9 yr old daughter found them in the couch?

all is well.

Reminds me of when I went to one of the bays a year or so ago when we had that massive storm. Went to take photos of all the waves in shit, and was walking around the bay, which was entirely covered by like a foot of sea foam. Got back to my car, did the lost keys haka. fuckfuckfuck. After a couple of hours searching gave in and called the tow truck. He came, hooked the car up and I was sitting in the cab doing the payment thing when a little girl came up and asked if I had lost my keys, of which she had in her hand. She found them near a bench I sat at (and had looked over several times).
Still had to pay the towie though, damnit.

IoriDyson 20th February 2010 13:26

crazy motherfucking drunk racist's yelling at people in parks.

JiggaRoll 21st February 2010 18:55

Took car to get a service and a warrant last Thursday. Needed two new tyres to get warrant so I said go ahead.

Friday morning one of the new tyres is flat so I take it back and they say opps must not have sealed properly or something. Walk out this morning and both new tyres are flat.

Fucking great.

Markh 21st February 2010 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggaRoll
Friday morning one of the new tyres is flat so I take it back and they say opps must not have sealed properly or something. Walk out this morning and both new tyres are flat.

Fucking great.

Sounds like a good place to get tyres done!

A Corpse 21st February 2010 21:17

Name and shame.

Lightspeed 21st February 2010 21:33

Quote:

Took car to get a service and a warrant last Thursday. Needed two new tyres to get warrant so I said go ahead.

Fucking great.

You know, we're not indexed on google any more, you can name the joint.

chiQ 21st February 2010 22:50

Quote:

Fucking great.

I know it isn't funny for you, but the series of events is pretty comical. It sounds like a Mr Bean scenario...if he was the guy fitting the tyres.

Ask for your money back. They have wasted so much of your time it would be fair enough.

p01s0n 21st February 2010 23:42

10 bucks on tonys

Jamiepo 22nd February 2010 00:18

My money would be on them too. A friend of mine went to get a slow leak fixed and came back 3 hours later with 4 new tyres and an alignment even though I had got her car a warrant 3 weeks prior.
GG preying on people with little or no mechanical experience.

lektronimo 22nd February 2010 09:41

Quote:

Fucking great.

I had the same problem a few years back, some place in Browns Bay in Auckland. Thankfully, I could drive it 200m from my work and get it done again.

JiggaRoll 22nd February 2010 11:00

Won't name and shame just yet, thought I'd give them a chance to rectify the situation.

They have replaced the two tyres with a brand new set from a different manufacturer so will see how it goes.

Pain in the ass though as it isn't the normal tyre place I use but as I was getting a service etc done thought I might as well get the tyres done at the same time as the price was pretty similar.

blynk 22nd February 2010 11:52

Do Tonys do WOF?
It sounds like a place that does WOF & Tyres. Dodgy Fks.

I will always take my car to a WOF station.

dylan 22nd February 2010 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by blynk
Do Tonys do WOF?
It sounds like a place that does WOF & Tyres. Dodgy Fks.

I will always take my car to a WOF station.

I've had bad experiences with both.

You're pretty much screwed unless you're either a) rich or b) know a good mechanic who doesn't harbor secret desires to steal all your money