NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Politics (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   sucks to be a kid in NZ (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=87952)

Ab 3rd September 2020 13:40

sucks to be a kid in NZ

Quote:

The annual Unicef Worlds of Influence Report Card released today shows that New Zealand is one of the worst places to be a child, ranking 35th out of the 41 richest countries surveyed – which include OECD countries and the countries that make up the European Union.

New Zealand’s youth suicide rate is the second-worst at 14.9 deaths per 100,000 adolescents, just in front of Lithuania, which is the worst in the developed world. This rate is more than twice the average among the 41 OECD countries surveyed.

Lightspeed 3rd September 2020 13:47

Cyberbob 3rd September 2020 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab (Post 2012892)
New Zealand’s youth suicide rate is the second-worst at 14.9 deaths per 100,000 adolescents

This might not be the place for it, but this is 100% why I'm pro EoL choice, but voting no on the euthanasia referendum.

You can't have the govt say it's OK to take your own life, when there's not watertight messaging in place for an already at-risk demographic, and no world class mental health care system in place to help those that are considering it, and the stats to prove that we're the best.

The one thing the stats are showing us, is that we're currently one of the worst.

xor 3rd September 2020 15:15

It doesn't help that NZ is a fucking expensive place to live.

Know me. 3rd September 2020 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberbob (Post 2012894)
This might not be the place for it, but this is 100% why I'm pro EoL choice, but voting no on the euthanasia referendum.

I'm along similar lines of thinking. But leaning towards a yes.

DrTiTus 3rd September 2020 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by xor (Post 2012897)
It doesn't help that NZ is a fucking expensive place to live.

Kids/young adults aren't paying the bills, so while your statement may be true, I don't think it lends itself to justification of youth suicide.

Of the young people I know who committed suicide, none were financially motivated - I would say mental health is the dominant theme, with a combination of drug fucked/relationship trauma thrown in to torment it.

That's just my own experience, I can't speak for all statistics.

fixed_truth 3rd September 2020 21:21

New Zealand young people facing 'silent pandemic of psychological distress'

Lightspeed 10th November 2020 16:12

New Zealand children becoming more obese, unhappy

Ab 10th November 2020 16:45

Jacinda: no changes to benefits lol

Lightspeed 10th November 2020 17:35

We seem to be hearing a lot about what the government isn't going to do right now.

xor 11th November 2020 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrTiTus (Post 2012912)
Kids/young adults aren't paying the bills, so while your statement may be true, I don't think it lends itself to justification of youth suicide.

Of the young people I know who committed suicide, none were financially motivated - I would say mental health is the dominant theme, with a combination of drug fucked/relationship trauma thrown in to torment it.

That's just my own experience, I can't speak for all statistics.

Yeah, that's true. Plenty of people who aren't experiencing financial hardship also commit suicide. But fuck, the lack of money definitely affects one's mental health.

South Auckland hasn't noticed a difference between National or Labour. The queue to the food bank continues to grow each year.