NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Gaming Forum (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Minecraft (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=84873)

Xanatos 26th September 2010 20:48

Minecraft

http://www.minecraft.net/

Been a Dwarf Fortress fan since the beginning so minecraft has always appealed but until recently it hasn't really grabbed me. Since the Penny Arcade comic I had another look and purchased the alpha version, bam, up till 3am building castles.

Is anyone else playing?
Anyone keen to start a nzg multiplayer server?
Or share savegames?

Here, I'll start.

FireStorm 26th September 2010 23:39

Loving it. Got my friends onto it too. A lot of late nights for us over the weekend. _b _b

Waldo 27th September 2010 09:55

PsyK 4th October 2010 19:41

Been messing around with a hacked copy, just purchased alpha. Very keen to see an NZG server up (although I hardly frequent here any more)

p01s0n 4th October 2010 20:10

just regged an alpha account, p01s0n_p1e

p01s0n 5th October 2010 09:16

this shit is off the fucking chains.

I built my fort on top of a hill, and then I started mining the hill from the inside out. My fort has a cavernous basement and also a watch tower to observe the zombies from.

We need a NZG server for this stat.

Trigger 5th October 2010 09:28

didn't know you were an aspie

mpx 5th October 2010 10:01

I also bought a copy and would be keen for an NZG server *ashamed*

p01s0n 5th October 2010 10:37

maybe someone with a WMS free server could host one?

creamcheese 5th October 2010 11:24

this game stole my life

I'm like a Minecraft Gary Busey

fobski 5th October 2010 12:32

Must. Resist

dylan 5th October 2010 13:17

Nope, still don't understand what this game is about. Zombies? Skeletons? Rollercoasters? All of the above?

PhX 5th October 2010 13:23

my window just stays bleck... :( On a Mac.

FireStorm 5th October 2010 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylan
Nope, still don't understand what this game is about. Zombies? Skeletons? Rollercoasters? All of the above?

Lego for adults. Oh and avoiding nasties that come out at night/in dark tunnels.

mpx 5th October 2010 18:22

Perhaps we should try an Aussie server? There's a few about.
But one that I can actually connect to unstead of getting "Connection lost" and "Connection reset" would be good D:

Nich 5th October 2010 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireStorm
Lego for adults. Oh and avoiding nasties that come out at night/in dark tunnels.

i do like watching videos of people's houses burning down by accident. But srsly. Where's the command center? Barracks?

p01s0n 5th October 2010 20:23

still don't have the cajones to not scurry up to my mountain fortress as soon as the light fades...

-=Lucifa=- 5th October 2010 21:42

im addicted !
i got my own server running but only from home cant handle much but me and a few quake buddys have been building on it all week:) built huge quake sign to live in and a huge fortress.

tell me if your keen to join us :)

Warrick 6th October 2010 00:30

oh, bro... are you sure?!

fobski 6th October 2010 00:52

jumped on a server tonight

this shit is bad ass

i just like exploring

:D!

Lightspeed 6th October 2010 01:12

Aaww shit... I might have to go ahead and get this.

Spink 6th October 2010 07:38

Ahh damn just found out you have to restart a server to get new updates rollin on it, gonna hold off on doing mp til the halloween update

mpx 6th October 2010 09:49

I started single player last night. Didn't understand that monsters came out at night so I had to quickly build a fort out of dirt and block myself in, in pitch black with the sound of hissing and skeleton bones right outside my door (I made the mistake of opening a hole to see what it was, ow). Scared the crap out of me!

On the plus side, while I was in there I buried down to make a pretty sizeable basement. Now I have a furnace, wooden/brick/tile house with glass windows and everything :D And have been uses torches to kill animals for meat, haha.

dylan 6th October 2010 09:53

What happens if you don't run away / hide from the monsters? (I'm assuming you die, and if so what are the ramifications?)

mpx 6th October 2010 10:06

I've been too scared to find out. I lost most of my health from falling into my basement (to which I then made stairs).

Though I did find out that when you kill a pig, I think it is, it gives you some pork to cook on your furnace which you then can use to restore your health. The sheep give you something too, I don't know what it is though, maybe wool and the cow gives you hide. I assume for making armour later on.

I'm totally winging it at the moment, I have a crafting table, storage and a furnace to which I've made a decent mini-fort and some torches for when it goes night. Apart from that I've got no idea what I'm doing :D

chiQ 6th October 2010 10:31

This looks cool. I think I may give it a shot when I am betterer.

Spink 6th October 2010 11:17

If you die to the monsters you drop all your stuff, that you're currently carrying, on the ground. You can mitigate this by storing some stuff in a chest near your spawn so you're able to fight monsters better with the stuff in your chest and plant torches if it is too scary.

You can punch monsters and you can craft a sword or a bow and some arrows that do a lot more damage than punching. Running away seems to work for most monster types although spiders can be pretty fast.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Mobs has the neutral/enemy things in the game.

Ab 6th October 2010 12:42

It's like Everquest for a new generation.

mpx 6th October 2010 12:45

....with the same graphics!

p01s0n 6th October 2010 14:21

pro tip: halloween update will see torches become temporary, so you will need to go around lighting them.

existing torches will be converted to lanterns, which don't go out.

dig a huge fuckin hole and place a SHITLOAD of torches while you still can, boom, instant stock pile of lanterns come the update.

this game would be hellasweet on psp or iphone or something

FireStorm 6th October 2010 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by p01s0n
pro tip: halloween update will see torches become temporary, so you will need to go around lighting them.

existing torches will be converted to lanterns, which don't go out.

dig a huge fuckin hole and place a SHITLOAD of torches while you still can, boom, instant stock pile of lanterns come the update.

this game would be hellasweet on psp or iphone or something

I dunno to be honest. If you keep a map, you won't get any new goodies nearby, like portals, expanded content etc, as the world has already been generated. You'd need to run off into the distance in order to get the new randomly generated content.

Unless of course you really want to keep your castle/fortress/S&M dungeon then you can stockpile on lanterns. Nobody knows how much materials/how much they make. So we'll have to just wait and see.

PhX 6th October 2010 15:11

Lightspeed 6th October 2010 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab
It's like Everquest for a new generation.

This is my fear. Both for my psyche and my non-existent bank balance.

Vrtigo 6th October 2010 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Lucifa=-
im addicted !
i got my own server running but only from home cant handle much but me and a few quake buddys have been building on it all week:) built huge quake sign to live in and a huge fortress.

tell me if your keen to join us :)

give us deets lucy

mpx 6th October 2010 21:14

I too require details!
Getting bored playing by myself :P

pervy 7th October 2010 01:46

Found my first spawner today, pity it was spiders.... the trap for them is crazy complicated!

Rocket 7th October 2010 12:23

what platform does the server run on?

FireStorm 7th October 2010 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket

So, how is the game in comparison to real life? Got any tips for the creator? :D

smudge 7th October 2010 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket

It's java, so whatever. The windows server gui app wouldn't work for me. I ended up downloading the jar and running it console style.

Acido 7th October 2010 15:33

q1 Dm4 in minecraft :D pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8CevusyWRo