NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Random Thoughts II (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=80222)

StN 18th March 2024 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab (Post 2028101)
I'll believe either of the Voyagers is permanently dead when the JPL confirms it. And even then I won't.

Yerp - not dead yet!

Lightspeed 18th March 2024 13:32

I saw that news, very cool!

Other news I saw was two kiwis deciding they wanted to permanently reside in Thailand. Damn fools.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...pistol-reports

wazza 19th March 2024 09:03

what a pair of gronks, curious to see how f'n owned they get.
5 years? 10 years?

that's actually horrific when you watch it, were they muling drugs or just high on meth? i don't understand the panic/response/outcome. gronks.

Cyberbob 19th March 2024 09:55

Quote:

"The Day family is understandably distraught over the situation with their sons in Thailand," their parents said Laurence and Katrina Day in a statement on Monday.
Just in case those names ring a bell at all.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/millio...KHVHNLXIHPVOU/

Quote:

Retired Hamilton multi-millionaires Laurence and Katrina Day say Governments should be forced to listen when the public speak via referendums and they've given $675,000 of their own money to Colin Craig's Conservative Party's election campaign in support of that belief.
So I'd say the brothers didn't have the most humble upbringing.

DrTiTus 21st March 2024 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazza (Post 2028770)
can someone please tell me, are we in a recession?

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/03/21/n...r-fall-in-gdp/

Ab 21st March 2024 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberbob (Post 2028884)
Just in case those names ring a bell at all.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/millio...KHVHNLXIHPVOU/

So I'd say the brothers didn't have the most humble upbringing.

Nothing screams privilege like being from Hamilton.

xor 21st March 2024 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrTiTus (Post 2028902)

and yay thanks for the tax creep from printing more money.

Lightspeed 21st March 2024 15:18

If that's really the case, then it's a decision that spared us hardship while also dealing with a pandemic of unknowable consequences, to be managed during a time when that crisis has passed.

I don't think that's actually the case, but if it were, I think spreading out the consequences of a pandemic rather than facing them all at once was the better choice.

Lightspeed 21st March 2024 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab (Post 2028906)
Nothing screams privilege like being from Hamilton.

These days that's not really sarcasm. Hamilton is looking more and more like the place to be.

xor 21st March 2024 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed (Post 2028908)
If that's really the case, then it's a decision that spared us hardship while also dealing with a pandemic of unknowable consequences, to be managed during a time when that crisis has passed.

I don't think that's actually the case, but if it were, I think spreading out the consequences of a pandemic rather than facing them all at once was the better choice.

That's very benevolent of the govt to tax the people. What's even more benevolent is that they haven't adjusted the income tax brackets on the devalued dollar. Much aroha, much aroha

Lightspeed 21st March 2024 18:11

What's worse is that you're right. That was caring of the government. To the outrage of those who just wanted to cash in on the crisis.

wazza 22nd March 2024 11:05

anni at work today, 3 years. before this job i had never had a job for more than year. i must be maturing into an adult or something :p

Lightspeed 23rd March 2024 13:48

Sovereign citizen jailed for disruptive behaviour in court

Quote:

A Nelson woman has been sentenced to 21 days in jail after treating a judge with “disdain and disrespect”, causing the judge to fear losing control over her courtroom.

Judge Jo Rielly told Megan Gordon that she had been repeatedly asked to stop interrupting at the Nelson District Court on Thursday.

Gordon was directed to leave the court, and to speak to a lawyer.

After returning to court, she went on to accuse Judge Rielly of “lying and embellishment”.

Gordon spoke over the judge, addressed her by her first name, was “disrespectful and rude” to Rielly, and was taken into custody because of her disruptive behaviour.

DrTiTus 23rd March 2024 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed (Post 2028924)

The thing is, you can actually be a complete asshole with legal proceedings, if you're willing to go into a cell.

I've refused to sign documents for several hours, and had several officers come at me trying to make me complete the paperwork and I just refused with a smirk and they didn't know what to do.

To lay hands is assault, and they know it.

Ultimately I gave in because I knew it wasn't going anywhere, but it's a funny game to play, until of course, you have to accept the consequences of your actions.

I'm not saying she's in the right, or agree with her approach, but it's a completely valid course of action, and does delay the inevitable.

As soon as they're making you do things you don't agree to, they're on shaky ground and they avoid it at all costs.

Kids: just accept when you've made a mistake, it makes life easier.

DrTiTus 24th March 2024 00:00

Because tino rangitiratanga, I'm Maori, therefore sovereignty G, amirite?

Oh no, wait, there are laws, and we're all equal. Damnit. It sounded so cool in a protest tho.

DrTiTus 24th March 2024 00:29

I got stuck watching Long Beach Griffy

From his Down Syndrome skit I watched loads of his content.

He's got wild takes on so many things. I like how he doesn't give a fuck. He gets the black pass. If you criticize him you're racist.

Ab 24th March 2024 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrTiTus (Post 2028926)
The thing is, you can actually be a complete asshole with legal proceedings, if you're willing to go into a cell.

I've refused to sign documents for several hours, and had several officers come at me trying to make me complete the paperwork and I just refused with a smirk and they didn't know what to do.

To lay hands is assault, and they know it.

Ultimately I gave in because I knew it wasn't going anywhere, but it's a funny game to play, until of course, you have to accept the consequences of your actions.

I'm not saying she's in the right, or agree with her approach, but it's a completely valid course of action, and does delay the inevitable.

As soon as they're making you do things you don't agree to, they're on shaky ground and they avoid it at all costs.

Kids: just accept when you've made a mistake, it makes life easier.

There’s a difference between “I know the rules and now you know that I know the rules” and “I exist outside your rules”

xor 25th March 2024 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazza (Post 2028916)
anni at work today, 3 years. before this job i had never had a job for more than year. i must be maturing into an adult or something :p

Better late than never, Good stuff m8

xor 27th March 2024 18:41

How much coffee is too much?

I'm 4-6 cups a day of sweet sweet nespresso goodness or Mocka pot coffee

DrTiTus 27th March 2024 20:30

If your body is telling you that you need a shit, but all you can muster is a disappointing chunk like an empty soft serve machine, that's too much coffee.

wazza 28th March 2024 14:10

i usually have my first cup of coffee after lunch, and i might have another one at 3pm. this is all very recent

i used to drink coffee, then i noticed that i always had sweaty right arm pit, so i stopped. recently i started again, pams instant or whatever work buys in the largest most budget container, but now i just do half a tspoon of coffee, i don't sweat anymore

6 will probably head towards adrenal fatigue, 4 is probably where you'd want your limit to be. but you're one of the more successful people i've ever known, and if it takes 6 cups of coffee to get to where you're at, then maybe more people should drink 6 cups of coffee. obviously it's not at simple as that, lol ;p

Ab 28th March 2024 16:41

Normal for me is one straight after getting out of bed, one either en route to work or just after arriving at work, one mid-morning.

Lightspeed 28th March 2024 16:51

The research I've seen over the years suggests coffee is good for people it's good for, and bad for people it's not. 🤷

StN 29th March 2024 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab (Post 2028950)
Normal for me is one straight after getting out of bed, one either en route to work or just after arriving at work, one mid-morning.

What about coffee?

StN 29th March 2024 09:42

Timely reel from my little bro...
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3IqN...QxZ3o1OWxlOQ==

fixed_truth 31st March 2024 10:52

Australia. No thanks

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5DdT..._web_copy_link

wazza 31st March 2024 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by StN (Post 2028959)
What about coffee?

Lol

Lightspeed 1st April 2024 14:34

Steve Wozniak says TikTok ban is governmental hypocrisy

Quote:

It's understandable that teens and creators are upset about the prospect of TikTok being banned in the US, but one unexpected individual lending their support to ByteDance's app is Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. The Woz says he doesn't understand the proposed ban and called out the US government for being hypocritical by targeting just one social media platform for tracking users when they all do it.

Cyberbob 1st April 2024 15:00

100% agreed. They only have an issue with TikTok tracking their citizens because of the foreign interests. They don't care about the actual tracking of citizens.

Is the tracking going to stop when Bobby Kotick buys it? Of course not.

fixed_truth 1st April 2024 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixed_truth (Post 2028971)

Australian man charged after allegedly using cable ties to detain children

Business as usual

MadMax 2nd April 2024 13:20

Mr. Mister - Broken Wings. What a great song to sing in at the top of your lungs in the car with the windows wound up.

xor 2nd April 2024 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixed_truth (Post 2028988)

Now do a non western country :)

Lightspeed 2nd April 2024 15:42

I left this for you xor. Happy birthday yesterday.

xor 2nd April 2024 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed (Post 2028997)
I left this for you xor. Happy birthday yesterday.

Chur, bday is in a few days time! appreciate it. NFI what that thread is about though, def not created by me as the user talks about other games etc. The only game i've ever really played was ra3. and by 2006 i was not into gaming anymore.

fixed_truth 2nd April 2024 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by xor (Post 2028996)
Now do a non western country :)

But I'm not trying to justify racist white Australia.

xor 2nd April 2024 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixed_truth (Post 2029003)
But I'm not trying to justify racist white Australia.

lol. keep fighting the good fight.

fixed_truth 2nd April 2024 17:20

Of course. I'm not gonna pretend social inequalities are a good thing.

wazza 9th April 2024 09:35

brah how pumped are y'all for ufc 300 this sunday
i'm pumped brah

MadMax 10th April 2024 23:38

Back in the day, late 90's I did a stint in what was essentially a computer recycling store and the shop had dozens of XT and 286 type machines. In the oversized workshop area were stacks of more computers, old motherboards and ISA cards etc. They sat there forever and nobody ever came in to buy any in the few months I was there however the owner said sometimes he'd get a philanthropist type that would buy a pallet load and send them to schools in the Pacific Islands.

I can't help but wonder what all that gear would be worth now to the retro scene if it were still lying around somewhere but I suspect the lot would have been dumped when the shop closed.

There's not a single 286 PC on trademe right now.

StN 11th April 2024 07:46

The vintage scene is funny - goes in waves. At one stage, you would never see an Apple sunflower Mac, then there would be 3 at once.

I note there is a PS/2 8555 - 386SX is *almost* a 286 :p

And a Compaq portable mainboard, sporting an 8088,

And a Tosh 286 portable, Amstrad PPC640 etc

but yeah, the days of an original IBM 5150 popping up, or a swathe of clones seems to be in a lull - I am embarrassed when I remember what I literally binned in the '90s - boxes and boxes of floppies, big iron flip cases and even a Sparc 5 *with* 20" display. Now I've had to go out a buy the same kind of thing again - or at least rescue it.

Commodore stuff seems to be popular now - a few garages getting cleaned out (or maybe parents passing on and kids cleaning out the house) with Vic-20s, CBM64s and Amigas everywhere. Still annoyed that a chap at the pub sought me out, and indicated he was going to dump a box of CBM gear (including a PET with disk subsystem) because he needed the room, went quiet, then came back and said I could have the lot for $1750. Yeah, nah...