NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Technology & Troubleshooting (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How do you music (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=87970)

[fe] 9th March 2021 12:20

How do you music

Curious as to how people discover / consume music 2021.

Quick poll here around me - 1 x Spotify, 1 X Amazon Prime.
I use bandcamp for discovery/purchase + youtube on occasion for discovery.

Getting CDs shipped from the artist on BC (cantaffordvinyl.jpg) + digital with a thanks email followup from the artist gives me the warm fuzzies.

Ab 9th March 2021 12:41

Streaming subs: Apple Music, Amazon Prime Music
Big label digital purchases: Apple Music
Indie purchases: Bandcamp

I don’t purchase CDs any more, it’s just plastic going to landfill as far as I’m concerned.

One never knows where interesting discoveries are going to come from. Like, I stumbled down the Snarky Puppy rabbit hole via a recommendation on a blog; I got hooked on Vulfpeck thanks to a recommendation from Jonas here on NZG.

Nich 9th March 2021 12:51

Spotify / Youtube

Buy vinyl / digital download via Bandcamp / direct from artist for outstanding albums.

Considering cutting off Spotify very soon and going back to self-managed FLAC / MP3 collection. Spotify is super convenient, but I find it only works well if I use it for a specific mode / genre / vibe (mine is ambient / jazz / electronic with some classical). If I go broader to my other music tastes (say, a Faith No More binge) then the suggestion algo becomes bi-polar and is the worst virtual DJ ever.

Because I keep my use of Spotify to a niche genre, it is stuck suggesting the same songs and artists over and over. So it has served its purpose. Time to cut it off.

Lightspeed 9th March 2021 13:05

I tend to stick to a genre for years at a time. I've found by the time I'm looking for something new, how people find and engage with music has changed.

Right now I exclusively listen to what artists upload to this synthwave channel ThePrimeThanatos, either via the channel's livestream or a Spotify playlist I've created.

And RNZ Concert.

pxpx 9th March 2021 13:17

Spotify and Youtube

Cyberbob 10th March 2021 09:10

Spotify for 99%
Youtube for the 1% that isn't available in NZ on Spotify.

I still have a self-managed FLAC / MP3 collection on hard drive, but it's been about 10 years since I last touched it.

smudge 17th March 2021 20:45

Tidal because of their $4 for 4 months cd or better quality, promo they have going. I've resisted stream in general previously, sticking to a self managed ~4tb flac collection. But I left my NAS in storage in NZ when moving to AU and thanks to covid haven't been able to go back and get it.

It seems to have figured out suggestions pretty well for me (not that I have much experience to compare with other services). Throwing up a lot of fairly ambient euro jazz and arabic classical music, which are my current things.

Tidal also has the positive for some, that it supposedly pays artists 3x what Spotify does per song play fwiw.

Just bought a pair of fairly high end headphones and really enjoying the clarity I'm getting in music I've listened to for years. I hear in audiophile type circles Quobuzz is fairly highly rated, but it's not available here, last time I checked.

blynk 18th March 2021 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberbob (Post 2014956)
Spotify for 99%
Youtube for the 1% that isn't available in NZ on Spotify.

I still have a self-managed FLAC / MP3 collection on hard drive, but it's been about 10 years since I last touched it.

Ditto, except I don't really use YT.

smudge 18th April 2021 18:41

Quobuz is now available in nz/au: https://www.qobuz.com/nz-en/discover

Will be trying it next when my current 4 months for $4 on tidal runs out.

smudge 15th May 2021 19:59

Been trying Deezer, and getting a bit frustrated that it's really dumb in it's suggestions. They advertise having 73 million tracks in their catalog, I've setup over 200 artists as likes, and been clicking like on anything decent it throws up. But still it keeps playing stuff I've already heard it play. One time played the same track twice within 5 tracks of each other. It doesnt seem like your 'like artists' impact on the selected tracks in anyway. I seem to be locked into hearing the same ~50 bands over and over...

Ab 15th May 2021 20:07

I really miss Pandora. Its suggestions algo was so good.

smudge 11th June 2021 20:35

Cancelled Deezer and now trying Apple Music. It seems to work much better on iOS than MacOS. iOS will automatically set the correct bitrate and depth to your dac, whereas on the mac you have to do it by hand each song in the midi app (wtf?). Dolby Atmos seems to be good if you have mid-fi headphones, but doesnt seem to add much to higher end stuff. Unusual for apple to launch something with so many issue imo.

AM hires really is noticeably clearer when it works. Like today I'm listening to Massive Attack Unfinished Sympathy in 24/96 and I could swear there's a spoons sample all the way thru it. It's really trebly and right in the center of the stereo field. But the timbre of it sounds like a spoon player. I've never notice it before when listening to that track.