NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Politics (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   National Thus Far (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=82227)

CCS 2nd December 2014 01:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nothing
CCS, you keep gagging for an explanation of what collective action problems actually are. So I'm just going to

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrTiTus
It's all well and good to declare it someone else's fault, but we all suffer as a result.

Hence why, collective action problems.

You couldn't say that several posts ago? Holy shit.

Now, place that explanation into the context of your argument. Then struggle to do that for several more pages. Demonstrate to us where in the autism spectrum you sit. Then have a whine about ad hominem.

Ab 2nd December 2014 02:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nothing
Well I guess it might change it, if you've got a really good reason for excluding them. But excluding them simply because it's convenient for your argument is not a good reason for excluding them.

Including them or excluding them doesn't change my argument at all. Most of the countries that are below NZ on the emission-per-capita ladder are third-world shitholes where you wouldn't want to live. The reason they have low carbon emissions is they don't have fucking civilisation. It's not like they're managing to achieve something we're not.

Nothing 2nd December 2014 04:49

Right, including them makes no difference to your argument because your argument fails to make a useful point. That was why I ignored you when you specifically wanted to exclude them in the first place. The point you're making there is irrelevant to my argument if it is true that there are civilised countries below New Zealand on the list. If there are civilised countries below New Zealand on the list then it demonstrates that there is more that New Zealand could be doing. It is true that there are civilised countries below New Zealand on the list. Sweden is a civilised country, which you readily admit. It is below New Zealand on the list. Therefore, there is more that we could be doing as a civilised country. QED.

Nothing 2nd December 2014 04:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS
You couldn't say that several posts ago? Holy shit.

I could have, but I chose not to. Get rekt bitch.

pxpx 2nd December 2014 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Wut? You can't mock someone's use of "get a better argument" just after they explained what they thought the weakness of the argument was. I mean, you can, obviously, but your lack of addressing the argument just makes it look like you're wanting to join in but don't have anything to say.

But I did address the argument - and Nothing quite rightly called me out on it a few posts after.

pxpx 2nd December 2014 08:27

Quote:

Wut? You can't mock someone's use of "get a better argument" just after they explained what they thought the weakness of the argument was. I mean, you can, obviously, but your lack of addressing the argument just makes it look like you're wanting to join in but don't have anything to say.

Also, get a better argument.

Lightspeed 2nd December 2014 09:10

I forgot what we were arguing about? I guess it's whether or not we could have done more to address climate change now that window has passed and we're now well on our way to catastrophe?

Lightspeed 2nd December 2014 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab
Including them or excluding them doesn't change my argument at all. Most of the countries that are below NZ on the emission-per-capita ladder are third-world shitholes where you wouldn't want to live. The reason they have low carbon emissions is they don't have fucking civilisation. It's not like they're managing to achieve something we're not.

Are you sure it's not because we're actually not that industrialised? Or that we benefit for non-fossil fuel based energy sources like geothermal and hydro?

I'd actually prefer live in one of those shitholes than have the whole world die for what we've built here. Our grand society where still 1 in 4 children live in poverty. La-de-fucking-da. :rolleyes:

pxpx 2nd December 2014 09:33

Because if everyone is in poverty, then noone is in poverty!

Juju 2nd December 2014 09:35

Sperg arguments about our position in the ladder aside, how does one reduce NZ's emissions, considering cow farts contribute almost half of our total emissions.

Get rid of the cows? Yea, nah.

pxpx 2nd December 2014 11:33

Lets farm servers instead of cows! We'll power the servers by Hydro. A few flooded valleys aren't going to be missed.

Lightspeed 2nd December 2014 11:45

It's probably too much to ask that we get by on less? Demand less cheap manufactured goods? No bugger to fight, so I guess it is too much to ask.

Food is cheap, shelter is cheap. The expensive part is maintaining the economy, making sure people don't get satisfied and lazy, stop producing value for the powerful.

Savage 2nd December 2014 11:58

CCS 2nd December 2014 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pxpx
Lets farm servers instead of cows! We'll power the servers by Hydro. A few flooded valleys aren't going to be missed.

No! No hydro! No ANYTHING! Only power generated by the good vibrations of peace, love and mungbeans is acceptable!

spigalau 2nd December 2014 12:02

Hemp Power Stations ?

Omegakai 2nd December 2014 12:33

tidal power generators better than hydro, dump in middle of cook straight :P

Lightspeed 2nd December 2014 12:58

We should move underwater. Build underwater habitats. Water rising? Good news! Cataclysmic cyclones? Who gives fuck!

Dethklok was right. Damn sight easier to access than Mars too.

spigalau 2nd December 2014 14:27

But what about the Hectors Dolphins !

Jodi 2nd December 2014 16:10

I would like it if the National government wasn't always actively hostile to public transport (thanks for ripping up those tramlines). Just fund the CRL for fucks sake.

Ab 2nd December 2014 17:30

tramlines?

Ab 2nd December 2014 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juju
Sperg arguments about our position in the ladder aside, how does one reduce NZ's emissions, considering cow farts contribute almost half of our total emissions.

I thought it was more like 75:25 CO2:CH4?

verve_rat 2nd December 2014 18:11

It's linked from that other wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ons_per_capita

Year 2000: 8.5 CO2 / 19.3 CO2 total equivalent.

<Some comment about Sweden>

verve_rat 2nd December 2014 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juju

Remember the fart tax? You know, the tax that was going to fund research into that very question. Stuff like different grass types, cow breeds, gut bacteria, other science things that we could do. Wonder what happened to that?

Golden Teapot 2nd December 2014 20:48

Sure but the green contingent only wants certain types of research to go ahead; the truly transformational types of research always get sabotaged by terrorists.

The sort of thing that will be truly transformational would be a cow that grows an extra eye fillet. Or maybe one where each leg tastes of a different animal.

Disease resistant potatoes are far beyond the limit of tolerance in NZ sadly.

Lightspeed 15th December 2014 10:00

John Key apologises... to Cameron Slater.

I guess we know where the balance of power lies in NZ, lolz...

Ab 30th January 2015 13:21

Sabin resigns, byelection to come

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11394142

pxpx 30th January 2015 14:18

Good stuff and not a moment too soon.

Ab 30th January 2015 14:21

Well, because National aren't a bunch of muppets, I assume that the resignation has been a done deal for a while and they were just waiting for the best time to announce it. Like, the split second after an opposition party leader announced he was quitting.

Lightspeed 30th January 2015 14:40

Insightful++

Ab 30th January 2015 14:45

Quote:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6558...ander-in-court

A prominent New Zealander has appeared in court facing multiple charges, but all details of the case have been made secret.

The man appeared this morning in a district court and was granted name suppression, along with sweeping other suppressions covering details and facts of the case.

He was remanded at large to reappear in court for a disputed-facts hearing next month.
I hear there's rumours on the Internets

CCS 30th January 2015 14:54

Ah man, give us a hint.

pxpx 30th January 2015 16:37

We need a guy like that kiwi guy in Aussie who always gets in trouble for breaching name suppression. That would save us all a lot of time.

CCS 30th January 2015 16:50

Even he isn't being helpful right now.

BoyWonder 30th January 2015 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab
Well, because National aren't a bunch of muppets, I assume that the resignation has been a done deal for a while and they were just waiting for the best time to announce it. Like, the split second after an opposition party leader announced he was quitting.

Well at least we can trust the Herald to keep the story top of the page and as bold as can be. For a while there it was just the Russel Norman story sitting at number 3 on the top 5 list but I see that has now been rectified.

Lightspeed 30th January 2015 17:50

It's so surreal celebrating National's underhandedness as "aren't a bunch of muppets".

Lightspeed 30th January 2015 18:45

OMG, it just keeps getting better. And by better, I mean worse.

So this guy Sabin was National's chair on the Law & Order committee... and after John Key's wonderful "No comment. No comment. Uh, uh, uh, we're not commenting on that" it's clear Sabin is the guy facing charges. JK's "uh-uh-uh" being in response to the question did JK know Sabin might be facing these charges before the election.

National, the party that keeps on giving. And by giving, I mean taking.

Ab 30th January 2015 18:51

Quote:

It's so surreal celebrating National's underhandedness as "aren't a bunch of muppets".

What? That's not underhandedness, it's professionalism.

Rince 30th January 2015 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab
I hear there's rumours on the Internets

he would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those pesky kids!

Lightspeed 30th January 2015 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab
What? That's not underhandedness, it's professionalism.

lolz, professionalism, cute.

Ab 30th January 2015 18:56

A reminder of how Labour handles media timing:

http://forums.nzgames.com/showthread...56#post1856756