NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Politics (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What's your voting-method-referendum vote? (Nov 2011 edition) (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=86111)

BoyWonder 12th October 2011 18:10

Referendum a.k.a. I hate the voting system you like!

I'm wondering what the masses think about the referendum and the voting systems in question...

MMP
FPP
Preferential Voting
STV
Supplementary Member

As far as I am concerned relying on coalition governments is bad and governments that have no room for other opinions is bad, but there is no perfect balance either. It seems to me like Supplementary Member would be a better system - what do you think?

chubby 12th October 2011 18:20

MMP+tweak.

DrTiTus 12th October 2011 18:26

My only preference is for an actual [e-]democracy, so that we can all vote on individual issues.

I don't trust anyone to make decisions on my behalf for every issue that arises (cannabis reform immediately springs to mind), but I wouldn't mind if someone made decisions on my behalf for issues I don't care about.

Voting someone in is just the illusion of choice, since there are many things which contribute to the decision that the MP makes - I don't think that "democratically representing my electorate" comes to mind. When was the last time your MP asked you personally about a particular issue and told you he'd vote based on the replies he/she received? A token letter around election time asking what issues you consider important doesn't count...

I think that having a cutoff for MMP defeats the purpose of it being "representative", since 5% is more than a single seat in parliament, but you need to cross the threshold to be included. If 4% of people want a particular party, shouldn't 4% of the seats go to that party? I can understand if you don't even achieve 1 seat, but 5% seems to be slightly unfair.

I haven't given much consideration to the other systems, but if someone wants to sum them up it would be appreciated.

BoyWonder 12th October 2011 18:51

Elections have a page here with descriptions but it might not be the best summary going.

DrTiTus 12th October 2011 18:59

Supplementary seems better I guess, it reduces the seat threshold to 3.33% (being 1/30). Still doesn't address the issue of how these people vote within Parliament once they become MPs, however.

Does anyone else think a direct democracy would be worthwhile/effective, or am I putting too much faith in people's ability to govern themselves (which is usually a contentious point)?

Golden Teapot 12th October 2011 19:09

I don't like the idea of a direct democracy. Frankly most people are not sufficiently smart to make actual decisions on all but the most trivial of matters. Fortunately there is identically no chance one will arise in my lifetime.

BoyWonder 12th October 2011 19:27

As far as the referendum goes is anyone motivated to pick one of the other options on offer?

Golden Teapot 12th October 2011 19:36

STV

TD 12th October 2011 19:46

MMP with a lower threshold (3%?) and without the Maori seats.

Ab 12th October 2011 19:48

STV here.

Juice 12th October 2011 20:16

STV but won't be holding my breath.

Saladin 12th October 2011 20:25

Benevolent Dictatorship

Deadmeat 12th October 2011 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
I don't like the idea of a direct democracy. Frankly most people are not sufficiently smart to make actual decisions on all but the most trivial of matters. Fortunately there is identically no chance one will arise in my lifetime.

This. See California if you disagree.

Golden Teapot 12th October 2011 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saladin
Benevolent Dictatorship

I'm prepared to take the lead role. It will be benevolent for all but more so for some.

chubby 12th October 2011 21:07

^^ and yet again.
what a douchbag who isnt as smart as he thinks he is sounds like.

keep them coming lolmeister.

fixed_truth 12th October 2011 21:12

Quote:

The questions are:

Part A
Should New Zealand keep the Mixed Member Proportional (MMP) voting system?

I vote to keep the MMP voting system
I vote to change to another voting system

Part B
If New Zealand were to change to another voting system, which voting system would you choose?

I would choose the First Past the Post system (FPP)
I would choose the Preferential Voting system (PV)
I would choose the Single Transferable Vote system (STV)
I would choose the Supplementary Member system (SM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zea...2011#Questions

A - I vote to keep the MMP voting system.
B - I would choose the Single Transferable Vote system (STV)

Jodi 13th October 2011 07:15

MMP/STV

_Incubus_ 13th October 2011 13:34

A police state that I'm in charge of.

Skanks 13th October 2011 14:12

STV here

blynk 13th October 2011 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrTiTus
My only preference is for an actual [e-]democracy, so that we can all vote on individual issues.

Agreed. Politicians can vote and decide on certain issues, but the majority are done on a quarterly basis. Online being the predominant source of voting, with a small number of physical locations that can be voted at.

pxpx 13th October 2011 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubby
^^ and yet again.
what a douchbag who isnt as smart as he thinks he is sounds like.

keep them coming lolmeister.

You keep setting the bar lower and lower with every post.

chubby 13th October 2011 15:07

youve been doing pretty well though.

Delphinus 13th October 2011 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by blynk
Agreed. Politicians can vote and decide on certain issues, but the majority are done on a quarterly basis. Online being the predominant source of voting, with a small number of physical locations that can be voted at.

Its a pity you can't be required to have some form of qualification to vote for certain issues.

Rince 13th October 2011 15:25

Ran thru the tool and tells me I really don't like MMP (and second least favourable is FPP).... but gets bit hazy from there: either STV or SM

pxpx 13th October 2011 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubby
youve been doing pretty well though.

I'm standing on the bar and my enormous intellect just weighs it down. You sound mad though. Do you even lift?

Sauron 13th October 2011 16:51

why isn't there a system where you only get one vote for the party and a parties total percentage = their number of seats in parliament? ie: get rid of the electorate seats.

Or am I naive? Being able to influence a parties list would be good but we can't do that under MMP either

blynk 13th October 2011 17:07

But why would you want to vote for a party where you can not "choose" who gets in? and has no care for your electorate?

Ab 13th October 2011 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauron
why isn't there a system where you only get one vote for the party and a parties total percentage = their number of seats in parliament? ie: get rid of the electorate seats.

Yeah, I mean we're all Kiwis. Even if no-one in Parliament is actually from my local area, we all have so much in common that I'm virtually represented by the people who are in Parliament.

Virtual representation. That has a nice ring to it. Winning concept.

Saladin 13th October 2011 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab
Even if no-one in Parliament is actually from my local area

Russel Norman's an aussie mate, vote green!

Sauron 13th October 2011 17:40

I don't see what benefit my local mp gives me at the moment? Admitidly I live in Wellington but lets say you're in the Otaki region (is that darren hughes?). If his party was in government how much can he really influence his party to benefit otaki?
I see where your coming from but to me the local MP is like the city council

Golden Teapot 13th October 2011 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauron
Or am I naive?

Not really, but on the other hand you didn't ask why we can't have a parliament with just one person from each party with voting power relative to popularity. Or to go further and have just one person applying the votes according to mechanical rules (as happens today anyway).

Golden Teapot 13th October 2011 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saladin
Russel Norman's an aussie mate, vote green!

He's a rabid communist and green for nearly two centuries has been the colour of choice for communists (except where red has cultural significance).

chubby 13th October 2011 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah, I mean we're all Kiwis. Even if no-one in Parliament is actually from my local area, we all have so much in common that I'm virtually represented by the people who are in Parliament.

Virtual representation. That has a nice ring to it. Winning concept.

i see the quote... but you know that could really easily be seen as taking the piss out've your boys.

chubby 13th October 2011 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
He's a rabid communist and green for nearly two centuries has been the colour of choice for communists (except where red has cultural significance).

hey.. pxpx. take for granted that by mocking this fuckhead im making a fool of myself.

Ab 14th October 2011 13:09

I was making an electoral-systems joke. You seem to have missed it.

chubby 14th October 2011 13:33

too much time here being angry with oil.
kills the last traces of humour i have left.

Ab 14th October 2011 13:35

Actually I'm with you on the angry with oil bit. Still so furious I can hardly bear to think about it.

Rince 31st October 2011 09:42

hahahaah: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...-to-oppose-MMP

pxpx 31st October 2011 12:16

Ab can we have a poll on the referendum as well? Pretty please?

cEvin 31st October 2011 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD
MMP with a lower threshold (3%?) and without the Maori seats.

perfect