NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Scumbag aka Scummy aka MisterBag (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=88048)

Rince 24th January 2023 17:17

Scumbag aka Scummy aka MisterBag

Some of you here will remember "Scumbag" (although he hasn't posted here in over 10 years).

About a week ago he suffered a massive hemorrhagic stroke, and was rushed to hospital, where they operated to relieve pressure on his brain.

Current prognosis is, despite having a "catastrophic brain injury" (Doctors' words not mine), he is doing remarkably well:
He has movement in all four limbs.
He is aware of conversations around him.
He is responding well to external stimulus.
He is off the ventilator and breathing for himself.

Not bad, all things considered. But still a long way to go:
Hasn't opened his eyes yet
Isn't speaking yet (but then again, the breathing tube has only just been removed).
(The extent of the damage is unknown at this stage).

The main success factor was he suspected he was having a stroke, and did the FAST test.

(If you are on Facebook & want to be kept up to date, send me a private message, via Messenger, and I can add you to a private chat group for updates)

_Incubus_ 24th January 2023 20:43

Thanks Rincey, everything crossed for Scummy's recovery and his family at this time.

Scummy was quite the regular on the LAN scene back in the day, sadly his talent didn't quite qualify him for Clan Hurricane beyond honouree status ;)

Ab 24th January 2023 23:26

Thanks Rincey and Inc.

All the best to Scummy and family. Fuck.

ChaosWulf 25th January 2023 15:00

Ah, hell.
Thanks for letting us know, hoping for a swift recovery - keen on updates

[Malks] Pixie 26th January 2023 08:11

Thanks Rince.

Rince 30th January 2023 19:48

Not going to do this for everything, but....

Major milestone tonight as Scummy moves out of ICU.

Ab 30th January 2023 19:51

_b

Rince 16th February 2023 15:51

New milestone

Scummy is out of Wellington Hospital and moved into a neurological rehab ward.

Visitation arrangements are discussed in the aforementioned Messenger chat group, so please, if you want more details, please ask to be added by sending me a PM (details earlier in this thread).

Rince 4th October 2023 09:22

Update!

Just thought I'd do an update....

Scummy has moved out of the DHB system (he went from ICU -> Stroke Ward at Wellington -> Rehab Ward at Kenapuru -> A rest home)

We had a massive working bee at his place at Easter, helping his wife to clean up the property to get it ready for sale (they have a place on the side of a hill in Newlands - no way he going to be able to ever return there). Mrs Scummy has successfully got the place on the market (and it's looking awesome!) and has had a couple of nibbles, so fingers crossed. Meanwhile she (and Scummy via WhatsApp) are house hunting for something more wheelchair friendly.

When Scummy first moved out of Kenapuru he was pretty much paralysed down his right hand side - recently though, he is getting small controlled movement from those right hand limbs.... so again, fingers crossed.

He has a motorised W/C to go hooning around in, but he is easily the youngest resident in the Rest Home, so that's a little 'meh' for him.

Being in the rest home means visitation rules are a little different (Mrs Rincey and I were in Wellington 2 weekends ago, and went to visit and found we had just missed the visiting hours window by 2 minutes but we couldn't get in). But extensive details are in the FB Messenger chat group previously mentioned in this thread. (If you aren't assimilated by the Zuck Borg, then flick me an email: rince69 at-symbol gmail dot com if you want those contact details).

Mrs Rincey visited midweek a wee while back, and the biggest surprise was he has lost the enjoyment of reading books, and listening to music. He can do these things, but they don't spark joy. And if you know Scummy, you'll know how shocking that must be to him. (I found it interesting - the brain is an interesting thing).

Rince 20th January 2024 18:55

Another update... essentially copy/paste of a post Scummy's wife posted on FB. I meant to post this earlier in the week, on his actually anniversary (last Wednesday).

Today is exactly 1 year since Scummy’s stroke. So much has happened since his stroke, and every day [his wife] is beyond grateful that he is with us.
14 days in ICU - 10 of those in a coma
Another two weeks on Ward 7 South
5 months at Kenepuru rehab
6 months at Kemp Rest Home
During this period, MrBag has re-learnt to drink, swallow, eat. He has progressed from 1-2 words through to full sentences. Loves doing the Stuff quiz each day. Scumbag has gained some mobility and movement in his right side, along with some feeling on the right side of his body. He has learnt how to operate an electric wheelchair, and can transfer in and out of this mostly by himself with supervision.
While he focused on his recovery, we have done lots on the home front renovated the rest of [old family home] with massive help from friends. Sold [old family home] and purchased in [new family home].
[Daughter] will start at her new school at the start of term 1.
The next steps will be to get the lift installed at our new house - plan was in time for Christmas, but that didn’t work out. Once the lift is installed then Scum0r can come home for visits and overnight stays as we work through what support looks like.
We cannot thank all of our family and friends enough for the support over this last 12 months. We couldn’t have done this without you.
Love [Scummy's family]

Cyberbob 20th January 2024 20:11

Thanks for the update Rince, really glad to hear he's got plenty of support and some function/mobility is returning. Support for his mental health is damn important too, I know Christmas time would have been difficult.

Ab 25th January 2024 15:19

Cheers Rincey.