NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Random Thoughts II (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=80222)

Ab 28th June 2023 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by xor (Post 2026892)
My brother died a few days ago. Had a brain tumor for 30 years. He suffered a fall due to him being wobbly on his feet and got a hematoma on his brain. He was put into a coma by the ambulance staff and as a result someone is now the proud owner of a second hand liver, and someone else has some eyes.

Kia kaha mate.

DrTiTus 29th June 2023 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by xor (Post 2026892)
My brother died a few days ago. Had a brain tumor for 30 years. He suffered a fall due to him being wobbly on his feet and got a hematoma on his brain. He was put into a coma by the ambulance staff and as a result someone is now the proud owner of a second hand liver, and someone else has some eyes.

Oh shit bro. That's terrible news. He randomly pops into my head every now then (weird as it may seem) - I never met him, but just in the context of "everyone's dealt a different hand" - I was obviously aware of his situation.

Sorry to hear it, I hope you're doing OK.

blynk 29th June 2023 13:21

Redundancy question

My friend has been told her role is going to be disestablished and have given her a 2 month notice period.

In her contract, she has a redundancy clause of 2 months.

These 2 are completely different right? When she leave in 2 months, she still gets the 2 months redundancy or can the extended notice period be removed from the redundancy payout?

I know we are not legal experts. Just gauging some initial thoughts before we make sure the company is not screwing her over

Lightspeed 29th June 2023 14:01

I guess my approach would be to ask the employer what they were intending, then figure out the cost of a legal challenge if I weren't happy.

Some employers are goofy fucks who don't think anything thru. Some are psychos who won't hand out a cent they aren't forced to. Maybe your friend is lucky and their employer operates on good faith.

Ab 29th June 2023 15:23

Based on what you've posted, my feeling is that your friend has been given notice that in two months her job will no longer exist (and she will be redundant), and the company wants her to work for those two months. But it all comes down to what's in the contract.

Is your friend a member of a union? If so, they'll have her back.

MadMax 29th June 2023 21:35

“Never turn your back on the ocean.”

Not saying that’s what happened here but I’d like to think all you smart lot have heard that saying before?

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/hawke...-sea-in-napier

xor 30th June 2023 09:24

chur for the well wishes. The liver transplant was a success so that is has helped give someone a new lease on life.

First time back in Auckland for 4 years. I do not like this weather.

wazza 2nd July 2023 14:27

gg sean strickland. what a g

Lightspeed 2nd July 2023 19:57

The Titan Submersible Was “an Accident Waiting to Happen”

What a shit show.

Ab 3rd July 2023 01:01

Holy shit that's fucking crazy. And so believable.

MadMax 3rd July 2023 12:33

I wish there was some kind of “NO GO AWAY” alert you could set on a network so that when a miss-configured or unauthorised device was plugged in it’d pop up with said alert on their screen.

There’s dot1x but that’s about control, not ACCESS DENIED YOU MORON GO AWAY AKA GET OFF MY GRASS.

wazza 3rd July 2023 19:33

how many sites you look after? could just lock down all your switches. disable open ports, have more of a plan at the patch panel, force sites to call you to plug shit in, etc. could go further with statics and mac assignments/filtering.

i look after 40ish sites across 13 companies. pretty rare shit goes rouge. get the odd storm when someone doubles back using some ad-hoc 5 port swtich at a wall port etc.

but mmm. depends on how much of a hold you have on your network i guess. be more proactive at the switch level is my only advice.

some sec ops guy here probably knows the exact answer you're after. i use nagios to monitor existing/known clients. curious to know what exactly happened, hah

Savage 3rd July 2023 20:49

I'm gonna guess some dipshit brought their home router in and plugged it into the LAN with DHCP enabled.

Cyberbob 4th July 2023 09:20

MAC whitelisting will achieve what you're after. If it's not an approved device the computer says no.

StN 4th July 2023 09:58

*cough* MAC allow listing....

Cyberbob 4th July 2023 10:17

Next you'll tell me I need to stop referring to things as master and slave.

StN 4th July 2023 11:14

:p

Ab 4th July 2023 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by StN (Post 2026945)

I think the point is to have the big “PISS OFF” message come up. I guess you could set up some sort of squid web proxy for every client other than the whitelist that redirected all http requests to a static page, but that would only work for web traffic.

xor 4th July 2023 12:55

"MAC addresses you say? Have you raised a change? We meet with CAB once a week and you'll be subjected to sitting in a 2hour call with people who are unqualified to make decisions about changes to production." /s

How do MAC address things work these days? can you import a csv with all your MAC addresses so anything that correlates with the list is allowed in the access layer? Or do you have to log into the CLI and explicitly assign a MAC address to that port?

StN 4th July 2023 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by StN (Post 2026945)

Whoops - wrong thread...

Every now and then I run an eye across the Corporate DHCP scopes for names of devices that don't conform to the naming standard and do a right-click, naughty step and suddenly problems go away :)

But yeah, I would so have loved to have an automated network layer process that would shut the port down if the requesting device wasn't known to the network, had current AV signatures and was fully patched. Would have shown that previous Exec who was "a CIO at my previous company" that plugging your Macbook into a random RJ45 socket and moaning that you can't get out past the firewall because your access couldn't be logged - a thing or two.

He didn't last long.

wazza 9th July 2023 16:12

whittaker getting tko'd hurts my heart. could cry

xor 9th July 2023 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by StN (Post 2026951)
Whoops - wrong thread...

Every now and then I run an eye across the Corporate DHCP scopes for names of devices that don't conform to the naming standard and do a right-click, naughty step and suddenly problems go away :)

But yeah, I would so have loved to have an automated network layer process that would shut the port down if the requesting device wasn't known to the network, had current AV signatures and was fully patched. Would have shown that previous Exec who was "a CIO at my previous company" that plugging your Macbook into a random RJ45 socket and moaning that you can't get out past the firewall because your access couldn't be logged - a thing or two.

He didn't last long.

I think https://www.wiz.io/ or https://www.armis.com/ can report on policy violations like you're talking about.

xor 11th July 2023 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by StN (Post 2026893)
There is joy in this. Not now, and not yet. But down the track, the recipients may be touched by a sense of appreciation and thanks. And in that way, your brothers altruistic gifts will continue to have a positive impact.

Hopefully there is some solace in that.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Two weeks later and i've swapped the rainy depressing skies of Auckland and welcomed to warm blue skies of Queensland. Been a tough ride and i'm yet to process his death properly. My parents are broken, so I supported them throughout the funeral arrangements, coroner report etc. I've aged about 10 years in the 2 weeks I was there, brutal.

I need a fucken holiday

wazza 17th July 2023 09:44

don't think i've ever come across an nfo as tangy as this. i haven't gamed in years but i still read nfo's from time to time. this was the one from EMPRESS for dead island 2. she's right about men, coz i just lol~

~Release Notes~ █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █-For 1337 torrent site owners: █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ I insulted you in my channel before █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ and I insult you now again - please █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ GO FUCK YOURSELVES, you pathetic █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ cowards. I am NEVER touching your █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ shitty cancerous/virus infested █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ shihole site again, and all my █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ followers are spreading "GREAT" words █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ for you, enjoy the taste of being █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ trashed & boycotted, SCUM. █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █-For denuvo CEO: █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ You are in dire need of hiring new █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ people, the FAGS working for you are █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ nothing but "CLOWNS" now, and can't █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ do shit against me anymore. What a █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ disgraceful shit-show. █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █-For denuvo developers: █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ Your protection is just a "joke" for █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ me now. You can't seem to stop me, █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ can you little BITCHES? █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ You are only humiliating yourselves, █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ but keep going, I will keep DRILLING █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ your asses till I make a new shiny █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ 2nd hole there for the public to █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ enjoy. █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █-For reddit fags: █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ Keep screaming, bitches. Keep █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ proving you are jealous butthurt █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ monkeys. Keep proving you are thin █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ skinned losers. Keep crying and █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ proving that you are nothing but █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ worthless "NPCs" that don't even have █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ 1% of my intelligence. █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ And most importantly, keep sucking █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ each other off in your echo chamber █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ filled of trannies and faggots. █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ (((MIDDLE FINGER))) █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █-For men: █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ Keep barking like DOGS and moaning █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ like WHORES. All your monkey brains █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ can do is "lol" and "lmao" and try to █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ sound "Cool", but unfortunately you █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ only sound like cringe butthurt █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ morons, I feel sorry for your █ ██▓ ██ ▓██
██▓ ██ ▓██▓ █ existences.

Cyberbob 17th July 2023 12:28

EMPRESS is straight up crazy. Great releases, but never read the NFO's. There's been some dooseys.

Red Dead 2 was legendary.

Lightspeed 22nd July 2023 14:51

Our boy CCS didn't come into money did he? (If you can make out the number plate - Wellington this morning.)

BoyWonder 22nd July 2023 21:04

CEO of Crippled Children Society? I miss CCS

_indigo1 22nd July 2023 22:27

Car Crash Syndicate.

Lightspeed 23rd July 2023 02:15

Cunt Can't Steer

Cyberbob 25th July 2023 12:15

Twitter is now X.

It's changed its look. There’s a new name it wants to be called by, and has given us terms to use when referring to it in conversation.

I thought Elon was against that.

Ab 25th July 2023 12:37

Turns out that Microsoft already owns a trademark on "X" from the Xbox era. It looks limited to transmitting messages about games and entertainment on a computer network, but any decent law firm funded by one of the richest corporations in the history of capitalism will have more than enough to rain on Elon's parade.

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewe...ex=19&p age=1

StN 25th July 2023 14:39

XWindows would like a word...

Ab 26th July 2023 16:34

Greetings from Coober Pedy. This place looks like Mars.

wazza 26th July 2023 19:29

taking the old man(as we're both old boys) to see St Peters College vs Auckland Grammar at The Cage on Saturday arvo. should be good :) Not quite 55 years since he was in the 1st XV but getting close to it.

Ab 26th July 2023 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab (Post 2027127)
Greetings from Coober Pedy. This place looks like Mars.

How do you know there is a drinking problem in the local community? A grown-ass man like me, old enough to have played Elite on the BBC Micro and Hungry Horace on the ZX Spectrum, gets asked for ID when purchasing alcohol.

Either that or I'm incredibly youthful. But.... nah, yeah, drinking problem.

StN 27th July 2023 07:09

I never knew her as Shuhada Sadaqat, and I think the only record of her I have is collaborations with Matt Johnson in the The. She made a good fist of that Prince number.

I liked her in this.

Seems she was a troubled soul - especially after her son topped himself.

wazza 27th July 2023 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by StN (Post 2027133)
I never knew her as Shuhada Sadaqat

was just saying that to a guy at work
RIP

Ab 27th July 2023 10:18

Suicide?

Cyberbob 27th July 2023 11:15

Definitely appears that way.

Her son killed himself last year, and she's publicly said in the past that she wants to follow him.

Tragic :(

Cyberbob 27th July 2023 13:38

Not Guilty verdict for Kevin Spacey.