NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Politics (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Random Politics (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=85105)

Saladin 2nd May 2011 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS
Sounds like horseshit to me.

So long as you're happy with your temporary refund adjustment I guess.

CCS 2nd May 2011 16:02

Hey, I'm not the one claiming that tax cuts for the rich were funded by service cuts.

chubby 2nd May 2011 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS
Sounds like horseshit to me.

Lightspeed 2nd May 2011 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS
Hey, I'm not the one claiming that tax cuts for the rich were funded by service cuts.

Do you have a hypothesis of how the tax cuts were funded?

CCS 2nd May 2011 17:36

I think John Key personally fucked a bunch of poor people for their money and then handed it to the rich and said "Here, have some more money!"

crocos 2nd May 2011 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS
I think John Key personally fucked a bunch of poor people for their money and then handed it to the rich and said "Here, have some more money!"

Yep, he's just that good in bed.

Golden Teapot 2nd May 2011 21:08

I imagine the naughty rich who weren't paying as much tax as morally they should have entirely made up for those rich who weren't hiding income. My point being the rich didn't really get a cut.

Anyone can dig up statistics that quietly neglect to take the full picture into account to disprove this but if honesty prevails (not a quality of the left) then we can move away from this nonsense claim that the poor were shafted here.

It will be better still when labour come to the table and accept that a capital gains tax is needed. But there's not a chance of this happening any time soon now is there?

MrTTTT 2nd May 2011 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab
What is shitter than the deaths of 30 million people? A housing bubble? Corporate pay packets?

Are you daft? I've already stated the massive increase in infant mortality, lower life expectancy, etc. That essentially = people dying.

In fact, you've selectively taken out the part of my quote where I do mention that.

What I love is how some of you guys arrogate yourself to 'experts' of, e.g. Russian political economy, having absolutely no clue of what's gone on there. I'll bet GT wasn't even aware of the woeful slide on almost all indicators (economic and social) in Russia until I mentioned it.

Ab 2nd May 2011 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTTTT
Are you daft? I've already stated the massive increase in infant mortality, lower life expectancy, etc. That essentially = people dying.

So, how many?

MrTTTT 2nd May 2011 21:53

30 million and 1.

chubby 2nd May 2011 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
It will be better still when labour come to the table and accept that a capital gains tax is needed. But there's not a chance of this happening any time soon now is there?

mmkay... and a major policy plank of NACTS too i notice.

adonis 3rd May 2011 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS

This sounds like a pretty accurate account to me, assuming it's not meant to be taken literally. He's had a fair amount of experience doing this already as a currency speculator. His former occupation would have given him more than an adequate amount of preparation for the task.

Somehow I don't think you're being serious though, so how about you answer the question?

GT seems to think the rich didn't effectively GET a cut, do you agree with that?

Golden Teapot 3rd May 2011 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTTTT
I've already stated the massive increase in infant mortality, lower life expectancy, etc..

Is that just one item on your list? I ask because it's not clear you're not counting infant mortality twice. Plus it's very unlikely the impact is across all demographics - perhaps you have a very serious problem in a small demographic that needs fixing? Or maybe it's that records are now accurate and under the dishonesty of the past in their countries they didn't count all deaths?

Plus you know it's actually pretty difficult to measure mortality at the ages that are interesting here and maybe they have simplify modernized their techniques?

CCS 3rd May 2011 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by adonis
Somehow I don't think you're being serious though, so how about you answer the question?

GT seems to think the rich didn't effectively GET a cut, do you agree with that?

wat? That's his argument, not mine.

Lightspeed 3rd May 2011 13:53

Hence the request you answer the question...

CCS 3rd May 2011 14:17

Why am I answering a question about GT's argument now?

cyc 3rd May 2011 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS
Why am I answering a question about GT's argument now?

Because Lightspeed is trying to set up a faux argument where your failure to answer his question indicates that somehow you have something to hide.

CCS 3rd May 2011 14:33

Yeah, I've noticed that about lolspeed and people like him. Trying to attribute to you an argument you've never made. Dirty.

Lightspeed 3rd May 2011 16:41

Well, my understanding was you were being asked your own opinion, if it was distinct from GT's, which I guess is unclear to some.

CCS 3rd May 2011 16:42

I have no opinion on GTs' opinion. Happy?

adonis 3rd May 2011 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Do you have a hypothesis of how the tax cuts were funded?

This was the question you were asked initially, I'd like to see a serious response to it. I added the question about GT's opinion on top of that.

crocos 3rd May 2011 17:39

Please can we not have this thread go to shit too?

Lightspeed 3rd May 2011 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyc
Because Lightspeed is trying to set up a faux argument where your failure to answer his question indicates that somehow you have something to hide.

Say what-now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyc
Edit: And, of course, he's avoided responding to my post and just about every point that others have made to him. LOLSPEED!!

Lightspeed 3rd May 2011 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by crocos
Please can we not have this thread go to shit too?

You seem unfamiliar with political discussion...

cyc 3rd May 2011 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM
Welcome to the thread where cyc had his posts deleted.

Who's shitting up another thread again?

CCS 3rd May 2011 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by adonis
This was the question you were asked initially, I'd like to see a serious response to it.

I already answered that.

adonis 3rd May 2011 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS

If this is the answer you're referring to I'd like to see a serious response. This answer is nothing but a cop-out.

CCS 3rd May 2011 19:40

I made it pretty clear for you. Obviously I overestimated your intelligence. Also, don't try to use the cop out line on me. That's for lolspeed.

Once again, for your benefit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS
those protesting had their tax cut funded by the same thing that funded the tax cut of the rich.

ZoSo 3rd May 2011 19:48

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10723146

Quote:

It advocates Government-backed clinical trials testing the medicinal benefits of cannabis "as soon as practicable".

zeekiorage 3rd May 2011 19:59

Quote:

The review also proposes diverting minor drug offenders through a cautioning system instead of the courts and new laws stopping the production of drugs such as party pills until they are proven safe.
I can't say I disagree with that.

fixed_truth 3rd May 2011 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS
those protesting had their tax cut funded by the same thing that funded the tax cut of the rich.

I'm not sure why this is relevant.

Two-thirds of the tax-cuts went to the top third of earners. So the difference is that these "rich" people won't be subject to the implications of cutting public services.

But maybe that's not what you were getting at?

adonis 3rd May 2011 20:26

Except that doesn't really answer the question.

Income tax was reduced, GST was put up. The government is borrowing more, and cutting public services. Borrowing effects everyone, both GST and service cuts disproportionately affect the poor. While your answer is technically correct, it's such a half assed response that it doesn't really tell us anything.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CCS

Really? No fucking shit.

Golden Teapot 3rd May 2011 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Two-thirds of the tax-cuts went to the top third of earners.

Yes but you're not bothering to add on the extra tax paid by this same group through the other changes introduced are you? There's not that much difference in the total tax paid by the top third of earners. What changed was the share being paid by individuals within the group.

Lightspeed 3rd May 2011 22:39

What changes are those?

Lightspeed 3rd May 2011 23:17

How do you deal with high levels of child abuse and younger and increasingly violent offenders? Apparently, reducing the role of Children's Commissioner to a part-time position is a step in the right direction.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...part-time-role

GRiM ReeFer 4th May 2011 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed
How do you deal with high levels of child abuse and younger and increasingly violent offenders? Apparently, reducing the role of Children's Commissioner to a part-time position is a step in the right direction.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...part-time-role

that's just crazy, now the commissioner has more time on his hands to molest children.

cyc 4th May 2011 11:02

The NZ police - being useless even in the political arena

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...social-dealers

How any self-respecting institution can possibly oppose the ending of the ban on drug utensils, in light of the obvious harm-reduction benefits, is just beyond me. And opposing the proposed introductions against presumptions of imprisonment is another classic "boys in blue" crap.

Anything to give us more power!

fixed_truth 4th May 2011 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
Yes but you're not bothering to add on the extra tax paid by this same group through the other changes introduced are you? There's not that much difference in the total tax paid by the top third of earners. What changed was the share being paid by individuals within the group.

Over 4 years this top one-third income group will pay approx. 14.6 billion less in income tax. What "extra tax paid" is funding this?

Juju 4th May 2011 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyc
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...social-dealers

How any self-respecting institution can possibly oppose the ending of the ban on drug utensils, in light of the obvious harm-reduction benefits, is just beyond me. And opposing the proposed introductions against presumptions of imprisonment is another classic "boys in blue" crap.

Anything to give us more power!

I assume the harm-reduction benefits you are referring too is the medical use of marijuana for pain relief?
If so - and without knowing the full report so basing this on speculation - then I would imagine they are opposing it on the basis that p pipes, spoons that have obviously been used for p/heroin, and other Class A/B utensils etc are a bad thing.
Not necessarily basing their argument on bongs and spotting knives (Which would obviously be tarred with the same brush in this context).

cyc 4th May 2011 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juju
I assume the harm-reduction benefits you are referring too is the medical use of marijuana for pain relief?

No, not quite. My argument (and the LC's argument, based on what someone I trust who's read the report told me) is that even if people think we should criminalise drugs or at least the possession of small quantities for personal use, there's no point in effectively putting disincentives in place for people having their own drug utensils to use, in order to prevent the spread of diseases.