NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Recommend a Movie thread (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=82650)

cryocore 29th May 2009 22:59

Recommend a Movie thread

Thought I'd start a dedicated film recommendation thread.
So post some flicks you think people should check out.

Just finished a seriously wacked double feature

The Machine Girl.(japanese) trailer
Seriously warped

and

Tokyo Gore Police. (japanese) trailer
also beyond words. TGPP is in NZ, and MG is due for release in just over a week.
If you've seen Ichi the Killer or The Story of Ricky then you know what to expect. Extreme asian cinema at its most fucked upness.

a couple of other foriegn language films definatly worth seeing

Let the Right One In (swedish) trailer Excellent twist on the vampire film. Possibly the best film I've seen this year.

Timecrimes. trailer
Time travel, serial killer murder mystery. One of the very few time travel films to actually really work without being too far fetched, or extremely loop holey(Donnie Darko being another).

Both on DVD in NZ.

Hurtuso 29th May 2009 23:33

Well it depends on your tastes but two I most definitely recommend, if we can put aside our national abhorrence to historical acts, are the French films "Jean de Florette" & sequel "Manon Des Sources". They are BRILLIANT!. There's something beautiful and natural about French cinema and these films show that even though you'd think they would be dated. Trust me, you really should watch these :)

?>Superman 29th May 2009 23:56

The Poughkeepsie Tapes - Some of the actors in it are shithouse but fuckme that film definitely has its scary/disturbing moments.

More so than any other film i've seen recently.

Ab 30th May 2009 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryocore
One of the very few time travel films to actually really work without being too far fetched, or extremely loop holey(Donnie Darko being another).

Donnie Darko not farfetched or loopholey? Are you on drugs?

dylan 30th May 2009 01:50

i saw a good vampire movie the other day, it had these vampires that were not only vampires they were also dreamy and turned all glittery if you put them in sunlight, also they were good at baseball...i would highly recommend it

Ab 30th May 2009 02:01

Dude, that was "Angels in the Outfield"

crocos 30th May 2009 10:36

Yep: Instead of sucking blood they just sucked.

StN 30th May 2009 10:43

Speaking of which - One Eyed Monster - although you need to have been drinking. Alot.

Rangoon Attack 30th May 2009 17:42

Highlander

Helious 30th May 2009 18:07

Get Rich or Die Tryin'

cEvin 30th May 2009 18:13

Fletch

Furry Crew 30th May 2009 18:37

Shortbus

Mish 30th May 2009 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cEvin
Feltch

QFT!

Nightcrawler 30th May 2009 19:43

Quote:

Let the Right One In (swedish) trailer Excellent twist on the vampire film. Possibly the best film I've seen this year.

Also highly recommend this film :)

Nightcrawler 30th May 2009 19:50

The Boat That Rocked - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1131729/
Absolutely loved this film

]- Volatile -[ 30th May 2009 20:10

Blue Powder.

_Incubus_ 30th May 2009 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylan
i saw a good vampire movie the other day, it had these vampires that were not only vampires they were also dreamy and turned all glittery if you put them in sunlight, also they were good at baseball...i would highly recommend it

I fell asleep 3 times trying to watch it, after seeing the ending the 4th watch I wish I didn't try a 4th time.

A recommendation - Cashback awesome brit flick...about a dude that gets dumped and develops chronic insomnia and takes on a night job at sainsburys, from there it gets weird but there is a lot of hot chick sideboob and g banger action.

Pepsi 30th May 2009 21:50

I finally got around to watching Gran Torino tonight. What a great movie..I thought it would be stink but was pleasantly surprised _b

cryocore 30th May 2009 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ab
Donnie Darko not farfetched or loopholey? Are you on drugs?

I said TOO far fetched, and EXTREMELY loop holey. There is some fetching and it is pretty far. Loop holes there are too, but the movie overcame these in spite or even because of them.

Nightcrawler 31st May 2009 01:18

Milk - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1013753/
The story of Harvey Milk, and his struggles as an American gay activist who fought for gay rights and became California's first openly gay elected official

Loved this movie. The actors were superb

IceFox 31st May 2009 09:37

Quote:

I really liked that, me and the misses watched it a while back, was cool as!

Skiltz 31st May 2009 13:10

Requiem for a Dream

xin 31st May 2009 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skiltz
Requiem for a Dream

And if drug abuse isn't really your thing but sex abuse is, Gardens of the Night is for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi
I finally got around to watching Gran Torino tonight. What a great movie..I thought it would be stink but was pleasantly surprised _b

How can you go into an Eastwood film thinking it'd be stink? (apart from that space cowboys trash)

Fitz 31st May 2009 14:16

Quote:

Great movie, thanks _b

_Incubus_ 31st May 2009 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by xin
How can you go into an Eastwood film thinking it'd be stink? (apart from that space cowboys trash)

Bronco Billy, Any Which Way You Can?

Ajax 31st May 2009 14:52

Saw a great Italian movie called Gomorra the other day. It's about the effects of organised crime on different parts of society in Naples, told through a series of interlinked stories. Pretty disturbing and dark, think City of God meets Goodfellas. It won a shitload of gongs on the festival circuit last year.

Hurtuso 31st May 2009 15:24

oh yeah, saw a bit of media around that, looks pretty gritty. Must check _b
Gran Torino, Milk both very good.
Just saw Juno last night, very, very cool movie. Don't think I've met people her age who were that cool though?

herp 31st May 2009 15:37

anyone seen Bronson, trailer looks pretty cool

Helious 31st May 2009 15:39

Apparently it's absolute shit.

Pepsi 31st May 2009 16:35

Green Street Hooligans an oldie but a goodie _b

On the topic of movies..I finally watched Babel when it was on tv the other night, but didn't think it was that great. The random Japanese schoolgirl hairy muff shots was a bit random..

?>Superman 31st May 2009 16:40

Mean Streets

p01s0n 31st May 2009 16:47

Hot Rod is good for a sunday night lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PlrxUzKYoI

dylan 31st May 2009 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi
Green Street Hooligans an oldie but a goodie _b

On the topic of movies..I finally watched Babel when it was on tv the other night, but didn't think it was that great. The random Japanese schoolgirl hairy muff shots was a bit random..

Football Factory outcools Green Street by a mile - it's quite good and more realistic, quite violent in places

Ajax 31st May 2009 18:24

Sam Raimi's new flick 'Drag Me To Hell' is getting really good reviews, sounds like it has some of that Evil Dead magic. Should be worth a trip to the cinema for.

cryocore 31st May 2009 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax
Sam Raimi's new flick 'Drag Me To Hell' is getting really good reviews, sounds like it has some of that Evil Dead magic. Should be worth a trip to the cinema for.

NZ release date not confirmed, but Aus has it listed as Jun/Jul, so we should get it around that time. I only hope we get the UK version. From what I've read they got the uncut version (as opposed to the pg-13 version in the U.S) either way even the horror sites, and horror geeks are loving this one. So maybe we will finally see a decent pg-13 horror film. Sam is the man, and if anyone can do it, it would be him. I will even forgive him for the shithouse spiderman films if this lived up to the hype. (will still buy the Unrated/extended version on DVD/Bluray that he's promising the fans).

Rince 31st May 2009 22:41

94% on RT....
"Return to form"

Nightcrawler 2nd June 2009 10:42

Gattaca - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/
The Prestige - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/

Helious 2nd June 2009 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by herp
anyone seen Bronson, trailer looks pretty cool

I watched this a few nights ago, it's OK, pretty weak story.

All he does is say "cunt" throughout the entire movie and smash Prison Guards.

Delphinus 2nd June 2009 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightcrawler

Agree on both.
Also The Illusionist - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443543/ (With Jessica Biel)

Pepsi 2nd June 2009 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightcrawler

Yeah I liked The Prestige..thought it was way better than The Illusionist. It was strange having 2 magician-type movies come out around the same time..