NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Exercise Log Thread 2: Who ate all the pies? (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=76460)

wugambino 25th February 2007 11:44

Exercise Log Thread 2: Who ate all the pies?

Rather then digging up the old one I thought I would start a new one.

I’m doing the rotorua --> taupo again at the end of march and I have been mega slack with my training. While I’m a lot fitter then I was this time last year , I only went for my first ride since November yesterday :|

So I need a thread like this to prevent me from being a lazy slore.

Yesterday I cycled 40km , Surprisingly I felt really good during and afterwards and im not stiff at all today! I've been running abit at the gym and it's make a pretty big difference to my cardio which has traditionally not been my strong suit ;)

Jonas Undrawing 25th February 2007 12:48

I cycle an average of 2.5 hours, 28km, six days a week, carrying at least 23kg on a bike that itself weighs about 20kg. And I've been doing that since April 2006.

Not that I needed the exercise (I was unfit as fuck, however), but I definately noticed that what little fat I did have had vanished by the first month, and had been replaced by six-packs, bulging muscles etc. Which is nice. What is also nice is to get paid to do exercise that I wouldn't normally do.

One thing I've observed is that I simply cannot eat certain foods before my run. My body has literally spelled out my early morning diet as being things like porridge, handful of roasted / raw nuts + dried fruit, fruit, water. I have found that these things give me the most energy and satisfy my hunger until lunchtime, which is when I eat all the pies.

cEvin 25th February 2007 13:46

I've been doing weight exercise for about 11 months. I've gained 14kg while losing 4%bf by eating clean foods like a horse and doing compounds like squats, deads and presses. I want to gain 5-10 more kg then drop a further 4%bf.

I recently started adding 15 mins of HIT xtrainer twice a week too.

wugambino 25th February 2007 14:05

Wish I could cycle to work but never mind cycling 30km along gt south road every morning ... plus then I would have no time to go to the gym after work.

Shit 14kg's is heaps~! I need to sort out my gym program to I keep changing stuff every week , also skipping days due to late finishes at work.

I really want to get my bf% to 10 - 12 in the next 6 months to.

JP 25th February 2007 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cEvin
I've been doing weight exercise for about 11 months. I've gained 14kg while losing 4%bf by eating clean foods like a horse and doing compounds like squats, deads and presses. I want to gain 5-10 more kg then drop a further 4%bf.

So you've done that with just weights and very little cardio? That's pretty great. I much prefer lifting to cardio, but feel to get those kinda results, or at least the best possible results, I should be doing a lot of cardio.

xor 25th February 2007 14:40

Quote:

Geez that's heaps bro. Bet you were a skinny runt when you first started.
Can you flex like Arnold?

cEvin 25th February 2007 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP
So you've done that with just weights and very little cardio? That's pretty great. I much prefer lifting to cardio, but feel to get those kinda results, or at least the best possible results, I should be doing a lot of cardio.

why would you do cardio to gain weight? that doesn't make sense.
calories in vs calories out.

xor - 56kg -> 70, i'm still slim as~

JP 25th February 2007 15:30

Well i'm a big fella, I already have reasonable muscles, but have a bit of chub I need to get rid of. So I suppose we're in different situations. Looking for a bit of size gain as well as more definition really.

cEvin 25th February 2007 15:36

ah yeh, opposite to me. burn those cals!

Ard Righ 25th February 2007 17:37

Quote:

Crikey, starting off that thin, it's not much surprise that you put on 14KG. But good work nonetheless _b

I've been going to the gym 4-5 days of the week, the last 4 odd weeks. Getting into cardio and some boxing fitness endurance classes, helps keep the heart rate up to burn off some weight.

I've got about 10KG to lose, and bf% will come down quite well along with it. Lost 4KG so far just from sweating it out in the gym, and small change of diet.

For people who don't like running, boxing classes or the rowing machine are good alternatives. Rowing machine can be a killer, but it uses a lot of muscle groups _b

wugambino 25th February 2007 17:59

yhea if you want to bulk up you would stay away from the cardio , and if you did do any it would be short but full on.

I started doing my weights with no breaks between sets. i.e if Im doing chest / tri's ill do a set of situps / calf raises or something between. Im usually in and out in an hour or less and thats including 20-30 mins or cardio , but im completely fucked when I leave.

Feels good after a day of sitting on your ass , the most exercise I get at work is walking up the stairs after lunch heh.

Juju 25th February 2007 22:50

Quote:

Good effort son. Would you care to skim over your program for us? As you maybe aware I was (and am back to) on a similer starting weight to you, but hit a bit of a brick wall at 61kg. I just couldnt eat enough in a day it felt to grow anymore. Could have been my ratios or the fact that weekends wern't very diet friendly... *shrug*.

PiNg` 25th February 2007 23:05

As a big guy I've found it much harder to sort my eating habits than it is to stick to a gym schedule. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and do predominately cardio, I've lost about 5kg in the last 3-4months (103kg -> 98kg - I'm 6"4). I'm keen to lose another 10kg and then do some weights. Christmas was the main obstacle in this period. There's only so much salad eating I can do :P

MadMax 25th February 2007 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas Undrawing
I cycle an average of 2.5 hours, 28km, six days a week, carrying at least 23kg on a bike that itself weighs about 20kg. And I've been doing that since April 2006.

[...] What is also nice is to get paid to do exercise that I wouldn't normally do.

do elaborate?

Boofhead 25th February 2007 23:23

Hah! I wish weight was as easy for me to lose as it is to put on ;(

cEvin 26th February 2007 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juju
Good effort son. Would you care to skim over your program for us? As you maybe aware I was (and am back to) on a similar starting weight to you, but hit a bit of a brick wall at 61kg. I just couldn't eat enough in a day it felt to grow anymore. Could have been my ratios or the fact that weekends weren't very diet friendly... *shrug*.

Yeah i remember you were bulking, I've read your thread a few times since then~

I do a 5x5 routine 3 times a week at the moment. It's mostly squats, b press, deads and rows, with some other small stuff thrown in. I've got an xls file that does all the numbers for you if anyone's interested.

You probably know most of this, but my usual eating day is
1. cup of rolled oats and low fat milk, fat free yogurt, apple
2. grilled chicken breast + brown rice (sometimes add some veges if i can make room)
3. shake - low fat milk, oats, whey, low fat cottage cheese, natural peanut butter, blueberries
4. scrambled eggs + low fat cottage cheese
5. whole wheat pasta + chicken or low fat mince
6. shake - milk, p butter, olive oil, whey, cottage cheese OR p butter, cottage cheese, whey and yogurt mixed together

About 3500 cals a day.

I usually cheat on Sundays, and i usually drink once in the weekend too.

Make sure you eat all the protein on the plate then fill up with whatever is left every meal.
I've found most meals should be protein+fat or carb+protein.
Avoid all cardio and get 9 hours sleep a night if you can manage it -really important for us ectos~

Juju 26th February 2007 01:00

Cheers for that. Yea Im going to give it another crack later in the year now that im back from my OE and stuff... should be interesting how quickly I put the weight back on now that i've been down the road before.

catsrnice 26th February 2007 03:35

I started traning 2 days ago my goal for the year is to do 20 mins cardio in the morn and 20 mins weights every night for 2007

xor 26th February 2007 08:03

Quote:

Yeah i remember you were bulking, I've read your thread a few times since then~

I do a 5x5 routine 3 times a week at the moment. It's mostly squats, b press, deads and rows, with some other small stuff thrown in. I've got an xls file that does all the numbers for you if anyone's interested.

You probably know most of this, but my usual eating day is
1. cup of rolled oats and low fat milk, fat free yogurt, apple
2. grilled chicken breast + brown rice (sometimes add some veges if i can make room)
3. shake - low fat milk, oats, whey, low fat cottage cheese, natural peanut butter, blueberries
4. scrambled eggs + low fat cottage cheese
5. whole wheat pasta + chicken or low fat mince
6. shake - milk, p butter, olive oil, whey, cottage cheese OR p butter, cottage cheese, whey and yogurt mixed together

About 3500 cals a day.

I usually cheat on Sundays, and i usually drink once in the weekend too.

Make sure you eat all the protein on the plate then fill up with whatever is left every meal.
I've found most meals should be protein+fat or carb+protein.
Avoid all cardio and get 9 hours sleep a night if you can manage it -really important for us ectos~

If you want to retain that weight i'd suggest investing in salmon, or flax seed oil, fish oil or big macs :p

Weedy runts like you hold barely any fat. So you should eat eat eat!

cEvin 26th February 2007 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by xor
If you want to retain that weight i'd suggest investing in salmon, or flax seed oil, fish oil or big macs :p

Weedy runts like you hold barely any fat. So you should eat eat eat!

i supplement fish oil and flax, i don't eat seafood though. and big mac has trans fat and a bucket of sugar i think, i prefer to keep it clean.

MACHINE 26th February 2007 11:43

Currently 88kilos at 15.2% bf want to lose 3 kilos of fat in the next 6 weeks.

cEvin 26th February 2007 12:07

^what's your routine?

Hotstuff 26th February 2007 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMax
do elaborate?

I reckon he is a postie.

Hotstuff 26th February 2007 12:38

For light exercise I watch dl.tv and for hard-out exercise I carry my "computer repairs" sign out to the roadside and bring it in, now and then.

I SOLD my training bike at the end of last year having done only 100km on it :(

Steady 89kg which you have to gimme credit for as I was up to 94 kg on the blasted medication that I gave up (and the alcohol that i also gave up)

Jonas Undrawing 26th February 2007 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotstuff
I reckon he is a postie.

Bang on.

MACHINE 26th February 2007 13:49

Quote:

^what's your routine?

2-3 days of weights 45 mins each.
3 days of 20-30 minutes cardio.

Nutrition is the key. Sounds like your diet is pretty good.

We use this lady http://www.realnutrition.co.nz/ website is worth reading for information. I will post up some of my meal ideas as an example later.

MACHINE 26th February 2007 13:50

Also i play a lot of wii :D

Helious 26th February 2007 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACHINE
Also i play a lot of wii

hahaha I had a jam on Wii recently.. it was mean bro, tennis hard

Simon 26th February 2007 16:58

Rugby preseason has started for me (the source of the original "I ate all the pies" thread) but what with having just bought and moved into a house, work being super busy, and MHG being a demanding little sucker, I'm finding it very hard to fit training in. I have a pretty stereotypical Polynesian metabolism -- my body is either "big and hard" or "big and soft". If I'm actually doing exercise, fat just falls off me overnight... but if I'm not, I blimp out overnight. This year's exercise is going to be a challenge of time management more than of willpower.

Clay 26th February 2007 17:08

I've just got a program setup for some weight training, so hoping that'll go well.
Got a good bench and some weights. Now to work on the diet side of it as I'm pretty positive thats where most of my issues are but I begrudge paying a nutritionist so I'll be scouring the web !

wugambino 26th February 2007 22:46

I'm lucky to have the fob gene to , I put on muscle really easy epically on my shoulders... cheers mum!

Kidona 26th February 2007 23:18

I'm currently following the weights program for body for life, not following the food part though just the upper body and lower body work outs which I find is great for toning.

I've replaced the cardio part of the body for life with Soccer Training on Mondays, Rugby League training on Tuesday and Thursday, Ice Hockey training school on Fridays and Saturdays.

Currently on 95kg's and want to gain more muscle and drop more body fat this year.

It's amazing how much time you have on your hands when you stop playing computer games :)

Sgt Seb 28th February 2007 18:39

kidona amen to that

although i miss battlefield i have to admit :/

i dropped down to 70kg after playing wow (i think i got by on two meals a day lol) and now i am back up to 82kg from trying to eat as much as possible. as juju has experienced, eating is the major difficulty for ectos when trying to gain weight. the annoying thing i find is that the easy to make food, or cheap food, is generally bad for you. either lots of sugar or too high carbs and not enough protein.

i have been drinking loads of up and gos, because they have pretty high protein and carbs, low GI and they are cheap when you get them from the supermarket, and they are really quick to eat with no preperation. but ive just realised they have loads of sugar :/

polys are lucky when it comes to genes, i think indians get screwed in that department. see heaps of skinny indians at the gym and then these huge polys...who i bet dont go anywhere near as hard as the lil indian dudes ;)

leadinjector 28th February 2007 19:14

yeah, but then the polys hit 30 and explode outwards :/ (unless they are female then its 15)

Juju 28th February 2007 19:14

Haha so true seb. Those up and go's would have a pretty high GI rating I would imagine too.

Whiplash 1st March 2007 16:36

Eventually we'll just have an amalgamation of all the races anyway ...

Asian calf muscles and genetic martial art skills
Speed of the black american
muscle mass of the islanders
apathy of whitey

Nerral 1st March 2007 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsrnice
I started traning 2 days ago my goal for the year is to do 20 mins cardio in the morn and 20 mins weights every night for 2007

You Will need at least one night of rest per week but I would recommend taking the whole weekend off. Body needs to recover and if it's daily it will probably become way too tedious.

I went swimming today for the first time in over 10 years, couldn't make it to the end without stopping, my god I'm unfit. Need to learn how to swim properly too.

wugambino 1st March 2007 23:44

been to the gym every day so far this week bar one , ran 2km in under 11 mins today which is a personal best ... fuck I hate running.

_Really_ need to sort out my weights program next week~!

50km cycle on saturday weather permitting , then day off on sunday.

Im down to 88Kg's now , at my heaviest I was 108 :o

MadMax 2nd March 2007 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by wugambino
fuck I hate running.

love running. it's something your body is designed to do. there's some deep satisfaction in doing stuff like that. same as hunting and sex.

Hooker 2nd March 2007 04:11

stuck in a london winter means no biking...damnit!

so I've been running, I hate it but I have to do it :)

4/5/6 days a week of 45 minute runs on the treadmill, I've never ran in my life so it is quite satisfying to 'get into it'. 45 minutes goes quick when watching TV. The best part is that we've been playing lotsa a cricket, so at 8am when I start running it is usually the last 15 overs of the game to go...which makes it all that much better. Almost tripped each time we won! :o

I vary it, I'll do:
1 Day constant 'easy' pace which is a recovery day
2 Days intervals which are 2min/1min with 11.2km/hr-14.2km/hr...but increasing the 'run' pace with time more than the jog pace
1-2 Days 5km Race Pace...I've worked my way down from 28m30sec to 23m30sec. Goal is to break 22m30sec...which I'm sure I can do already but soon as 5k's is done I slow the pace and finish after 35 minutes (with 10 minute warmup makes it 45min)