NZGames.com Forums

NZGames.com Forums (https://forums.nzgames.com/index.php)
-   Open Discussion (https://forums.nzgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Recommend a Movie thread (https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=82650)

wugambino 5th September 2009 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asa
anyone seen this movie called Primer ??

one of those movies where u gotta see it 2-3 times. :rolleyes:

Yeha I really enjoyed it, my misses walked off 20 mins in with a sore brain heh

cryocore 5th September 2009 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by wugambino
Yeha I really enjoyed it, my misses walked off 20 mins in with a sore brain heh

Love this film. Check out Timecrimes if Primer rocked your boat.

Lightspeed 5th September 2009 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asa

Yeah, pretty epic film especially consider its budget of just a few thousand. Definitely hard to follow all the timelines though. Apparently there's over 20.

wolph 5th September 2009 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixed_truth
'Inglourious Basterds' - Tarantino did not disappoint. The amount of tension that the dialogue built up in the first scene alone was amazing. Dark, raw and the odd bit of gore - I found it a very powerful movie. Thoroughly entertaining and overall an amazing cinematic achievement _b

Inglourious basterds is a good movie, but the other movie within the Tarantino package about a Jewish chick residing in France really sucked.

IMO it should have been 3 hours of Basterds, then it would have been win. Oh well.

Helious 5th September 2009 20:57

About to watch Gomorra (2008) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929425/

I have high hopes.

Then South Africa is going to fucking smash Australia again in the Rugby ;p

QWERTY? 6th September 2009 04:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolph
Inglourious basterds is a good movie, but the other movie within the Tarantino package about a Jewish chick residing in France really sucked.

IMO it should have been 3 hours of Basterds, then it would have been win. Oh well.

It was perfectly balanced, the whole concept of the basterds was lame, though fairly well executed in the movie, if it was 3 hours of basterds it would have been 3 borings hours of "we're jews we'll kill you, wank, wank, wank"

Lightspeed 6th September 2009 10:47

Inglorious was alright, had some really good scenes in it. I don't have any specific complaints about it, although I got the feeling that it didn't quite fit somehow.

Jonas Undrawing 6th September 2009 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helious
About to watch Gomorra (2008) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929425/

I have high hopes.

Then South Africa is going to fucking smash Australia again in the Rugby ;p

I'm glad i saw Gomorra. Like me, a good portion of the people in the cinema went to see it alone (some took their girlfriends, hah! way to cock block yourself). I thought it was executed with maturity and restraint. But I cannot recommend it to people.

fidgit 7th September 2009 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asa

Every time I see someone mention this, I think "wow that sounds awesome", then grab a copy and get about 10 minutes in and realise I've seen it.

It's still great though, I just wish the ending had been more specific - there are so many different things that might have happened at and around the party that we'll never know what really happened.

Cyberbob 7th September 2009 00:35

I never ended up finishing Primer, couldn't stand it.. the story wasn't going anywhere and I was getting bored, so i turned it off.

fixed_truth 7th September 2009 10:02

^yeah I agree with that. The concept was good but the way they played it out was soo tedious.

Ajax 7th September 2009 12:14

Primer was excellent, really enjoyed it.

Asa 7th September 2009 12:53

"Primer was completed on a budget of $7,000"...

considering the budget id say there were limitations... ;)

Anyone seen "Waking Life"? same director as scanner darkly. That movie is suppose to be pretty good too... really want to see it! :)

Helious 7th September 2009 13:00

A good mate of mine gave me Waking Life a few years ago. I still haven't watched it!

Might do that this evening after True Blood season finale

StN 7th September 2009 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax

buckies 7th September 2009 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asa
Anyone seen "Waking Life"? same director as scanner darkly. That movie is suppose to be pretty good too... really want to see it! :)

Just take 50 grams of fresh Psilocybin cubensis and close your eyes. The same effect eventuates.

crocos 7th September 2009 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckies
Just take 50 grams of fresh Psilocybin cubensis and close your eyes. The same effect eventuates.

With the difference that the movie is probably cheaper.

Baal 7th September 2009 15:26

Quote:

Might do that this evening after True Blood season finale

Not screening till next week I believe.

Gerbs 7th September 2009 18:03

Hmmm

Thanks to whoever suggested Cashback - really enjoyed it thanks :)

Helious 7th September 2009 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baal
Not screening till next week I believe.

Yeah, I found out shortly after posting. Thoroughly unimpressed ;( but i'm used to "writers strike" type waits, so it's hardly anything worth getting shitty about. But damn, I love that fucking show!

My fantasy is to be undead, like a Vampire. Eric is cool. 1000 years old.

[BT]Monza 8th September 2009 02:50

Finally got around to watching Frost/Nixon, surprised that I really enjoyed it. Great performance from Anthong L. playing Nixon.

_Incubus_ 8th September 2009 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbs
Hmmm

Thanks to whoever suggested Cashback - really enjoyed it thanks :)

No worries :) Lots of oddness and naked girls, plus interesting story..The start was pretty much my fav with the slow motion fight and the lamp bouncing off his head :)

QWERTY? 8th September 2009 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax

though when they use the "fail-safe" was where I totally lost wtf was going on.

A Corpse 8th September 2009 16:51

Is the name really "Inglorious Basterds" or can nobody spell "bastards" properly?

QWERTY? 8th September 2009 16:59

basterds

thats how it is meant to be, but the reason alludes me

A Corpse 8th September 2009 17:15

Maybe avoiding censorship/advertising regulations? :confused:

Pastor Thug 8th September 2009 17:24

Quote:

A good mate of mine gave me Waking Life a few years ago. I still haven't watched it!

Quite a cool little philosophical movie.

Just saw Men's Group. Thoroughly enjoyed it - pretty damn intense.

Helious 8th September 2009 17:25

@ Basterds spelling

That's not it. He explained why recently (3-4 days ago) on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross.

I can't find the clip, can't be too bothered searching for it. And I personally think Quentin is a terrible guest, he goes ON AND ON. He explained why, but it escapes me now as I had already tuned out.

A Corpse 8th September 2009 17:37

Oh, "inglourious" is also an "original" spelling. Wonder if he just wants it to be googleable.

Wikipedia: At the Cannes film festival he said that the misspelled title is "an artistic flourish".

What a pretentious wanker. :D

Helious 8th September 2009 17:39

that's right, that's what he said

nostrom0 8th September 2009 20:42

District 9 and Unbreakable.

Pepsi 8th September 2009 20:50

I quite enjoyed The Last House on the Left .. Not as in, best movie I have ever seen, but was quite intense particularly the rape scene

?>Superman 8th September 2009 21:01

Quote:

@ Basterds spelling

That's not it. He explained why recently (3-4 days ago) on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross.

I can't find the clip, can't be too bothered searching for it. And I personally think Quentin is a terrible guest, he goes ON AND ON. He explained why, but it escapes me now as I had already tuned out.

holy shit Jonathon Ross was owning him on that interview, Tarantino does indeed talk a little too much.

Still <3 his movies though.

Helious 8th September 2009 21:06

yeah man, fucking love his movies. he's just a hardcore nerd ;p

cryocore 8th September 2009 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi
I quite enjoyed The Last House on the Left .. Not as in, best movie I have ever seen, but was quite intense particularly the rape scene

actually one of the few remakes I perfer over the original.

Just finished Dead Snow. Awesome Nazi Zombie Flick.

And Outlander. Future Dood + Vikings + Alien Monster + Ron Perlman = Awesome

Pepsi 8th September 2009 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryocore
actually one of the few remakes I perfer over the original.

Just finished Dead Snow. Awesome Nazi Zombie Flick.

And Outlander. Future Dood + Vikings + Alien Monster + Ron Perlman = Awesome

I'm still feeling jealous of that movie collection of yours since you posted that photo _b

I'd have to say that I probably watch about the same percentage of horror/thriller movies. I was hooked on that genre since watching The incredible melting man at the tender age of 8.

doppelgänger of someone 8th September 2009 23:06

^^^ I recommend [Rec], best horror in the past few years IMO. The mother load of payoff comes out near the end.

I was looking forward to Anticrhist (Lars von Trier does horror!), but the more I read about it, the more I don't want to see it. It just sounds disgusting.

Pepsi 8th September 2009 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
^^^ I recommend [Rec], best horror in the past few years IMO. The mother load of payoff comes out near the end.

I was looking forward to Anticrhist (Lars von Trier does horror!), but the more I read about it, the more I don't want to see it. It just sounds disgusting.

I haven't seen that, but have seen the remake Quarantine which was good. Is it the usual case of the original being heaps better?

doppelgänger of someone 8th September 2009 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi
I haven't seen that, but have seen the remake Quarantine which was good. Is it the usual case of the original being heaps better?

Heaps and heaps better, or so I've been told. Hollywood remakes are usually shite, so when I first heard of Quarantine I just automatically went for the original instead. IMO the end of the original would be a lot more scarier, because in the original the virus is not made by the military but... ah I won't spoil it for you. But now you won't get the shock when you get to the end of [Rec]. :(

I was really satisfied when the credits rolled, I hadn't been scared like this for a reaaaally long time.

Asriel 8th September 2009 23:31

I remember him saying that 'basterds' is how he feels that 'bastards' sounds when spoken. Or something like that. What an awesome movie though. Easily the best movie I've seen in a long time. Though, District 9 was also very very cool.

I found a Digg'ed article that had a few 'underrated' sci-fi movies. So far I have seen Code 46. It was ok. Interesting, but not fantastic.